The reconstruction of Stewart Stadium

A CAT tractor parked in front of the Stewart Stadium.

Weber State University’s Stewart Stadium is near the end of a four-year transformation. The progress is rapidly unfolding at the heart of WSU’s football and track programs. The entire eastern flank of the stadium has been excavated, primed for reconstruction.

The next chapter of renovation will include the installation of a new football field and a rejuvenated track. The artificial turf practice field on the west side of campus will undergo a similar renewal.

With a history spanning over 60 years, the eastern section of the stadium held the distinction of being the university’s most enduring original structure. However, the passage of time, coupled with an influx of architectural marvels on campus over the past several years, necessitated its retirement.

“The time has come to bid farewell to the venerable east side bleachers, the iconic track, the hallowed playing surface, and the practice field on the lower campus,” Tim Crompton, the director of athletics at Weber State University, said. “These stalwart components have served us dutifully, but evolution beckons.”

The changes to the eastside stadium will bring a supportive substructure with a new configuration. A concourse and promenade will go through the middle of the east side, accommodating concessions and facilitating fan movement between two tiers of bleacher seating.

Overall, 1000-1500 seats will be removed, resulting in a seating capacity around 15,000 for Stewart Stadium.

“While the seat count diminishes, our service offerings will elevate,” Crompton said. “Concessions will thrive in this new setup.”

Crompton also said the new structure will rise slightly higher than its predecessor, potentially improving spectator’s sightlines.

The stadium’s track and football field were last revamped in 2011, transitioning from natural grass to artificial.

The new field will showcase purple end zones, adorned with the Wildcat emblem at midfield.

The replacement of the weathered practice field on lower campus is anticipated to increase its use by sports teams and the university band. This could increase the vitality and quality of the stadium’s central turf.

The outdoor track and field season could be disrupted by the construction. Some sprinters and jumpers are anticipated to use certain sections of the stadium for practice. Additionally, the Wildcats may conduct workouts on Ogden High School’s modernized track.

The Football team is planning on using the Stewart Stadium for spring practice which will encourage accelerated construction according to Crompton.

The Weber State football team is set to have their home opener against Montana State University on Sept. 23 at 6 p.m.

View Comments (1)