Weber hockey melts under pressure

WSU and UVU players going after a hockey puck. (Simon Mortensen/ The Signpost)

Weber State University’s hockey team kicked off their hockey season on Sept. 16 with a game against Utah Valley University. Both teams were trying to make a statement after last year’s opener, where the Wildcats dominated 15–2.

After a hard-fought night, the Wolverines left the Ice Sheet with a 3–2 victory.

“I think we looked at last season’s results a little too much and we weren’t ready for tonight,” coach Yosh Ryujin said.

The Wildcats started strong in the first period, blasting 15 shots on goal. With six seconds remaining in the first period, Andrei Shmakov smashed in a slap shot to give Weber State their first goal of the season.

With 16 minutes left in the second period, Utah Valley forward Ammon Anderson tied the game up with an easy rebound goal. Anderson followed up with another goal during a power play to put the Wolverines up 2–1.

Utah Valley was able to add another goal to the stat sheet on a fastbreak from Patrick Shimbashi with less than 10 minutes left in the third period.

With less than two minutes left in the third period and the score sitting at 3–1, Wildcat Jack Jones got his first collegiate goal of his Weber State career. Despite being in a position to force an overtime period, Weber State was not able to equalize the score and lost 3–2.

“You must stay positive and be ready for the next game,” Wildcat goalkeeper Kyle Lane said. “We can’t let this result get to us.”

On Sept. 17, Weber State hockey played their second game of the weekend, hoping for their first win against Utah State University. The Aggies came out on top, however, winning 5–2.

The Wildcats struck first in the heated rivalry match. Within the first two minutes of the game, Cory Mater hit a goal in for Weber State.

The Aggies started off slow at first, but rallied late in the first period with goals from Bradley Green and Dalton L’Allier, putting Utah State up 2–1.

A goal from Bryon Fobair early in the second period was able to bring Weber State back in the game. However, the Aggies were able to take advantage of Wildcat’s turnovers to pull ahead. L’Allier finished the night with a hat trick, ending the game 5–2.

Weber State’s next home game will be on Oct. 7 against the University of Utah. The puck will drop at 7:15 p.m.