Karaoke night rocks Stewart Wasatch

Weber State University’s Housing and Residence Life held “Karaoke Jams Night” in the common area of Stewart Wasatch Hall’s third floor on Sept. 21.

With a pajama dress code in full effect, residents gathered in their coziest sleep attire to hang out and showcase their vocal talents. As they braved the audience, various groups stood facing the crowd while singing along to lyrics posted on a flat screen television hanging on a wall.

Singing could be heard all throughout the building as the designated study lounge was transformed into a pub for the night — but without the flashing lights or alcohol.

Students sang along to Fergie’s 2006 hit song “Fergalicious,” R&B icon Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You” and everything in between.

KARAOKE 02
Residents perform karaoke to Justin Bieber's, "Despacito" at Residence Halls Karaoke Jams Night ( Jinelle Lumpris/ The Signpost ).

This social atmosphere created a safe haven for members of the Wildcat Village community to enjoy each other’s company, unite, listen to performances, have a couple of laughs, make memories and indulge in some buttery popcorn.

Adam Hepworth, a freshman at WSU who was invited by some of his friends living in the village, said he enjoyed singing with his friends. “My favorite part of the night was when we sang ‘Pour Some Sugar On Me’ by Def Leppard,” Hepworth said.

Another WSU freshman, German foreign exchange student Franziska Fecker, was partially dressed in her pajamas to adhere to the jam night dress code. “It was pretty cool — very comfy — and I didn’t feel uncomfortable coming here in my pajamas,” Fecker said.

9-27 PJ Karaoke (Jinelle Lumpris) (3 of 3).JPG
Students sing along to High School Musical’s, "Stick to the Status Quo" ( Jinelle Lumpris / The Signpost ).

Autumn Norcross, a resident assistant at Wildcat Village who coordinated the event, said, “I thought it would have been funny to get to know people if they are in their pajamas because if they are in their pajamas, you are opening up in a different type of way.”