Fashionable lifestyles on a college budget

6-25 Farmers Market (Dalton Flandro)-3.jpg
Locals check out fresh vegetables at Ogden City Farmers Market last summer, one activity to do to get out and explore Ogden on a college student dime. (The Signpost Archives)

The college student budget is real. Many incoming freshmen still think it’s a joke. Surely, eating Top Ramen almost every day of the week so you can afford to enjoy a social life isn’t really what college is like, right?

Finding inexpensive stress relievers can be difficult. Thankfully, Ogden is home to some wallet-friendly local venues and activities.

For movie lovers, Cinepointe 6 is the best way to catch a flick for a low price. It’s a second-run theater, meaning they screen films that have recently moved out of the rotations of first-run theaters like the Megaplex or Cinemark.

General admission is $3, but with a Wildcat ID, students can get tickets for $1.50 after 9 p.m. The theater also offers $2 Tuesdays, and 3D movies are $5 every day of the week.

Megaplex at the Junction in downtown Ogden even offers $5 Tuesday for all movies, including IMAX, 3D and VIP showings. A mini popcorn goes for $1, hot dogs are $2 and pizza is $3.

During the warmer months, Historic 25th Street hosts a farmer’s market with local vendors, artisans and business owners. Here, you can enjoy local food, groovy music and even a free yoga class. The market usually begins in June and runs through October, depending on the weather.

Neighboring Harrisville also has a small farmer’s market of about 20 vendors. It is located at Harrisville City Park.

Riverdale holds a small swap meet at the Movie-Vu drive-in. The swap meet is open during the summer and features old records, furniture, clothes and even cooking equipment. Swap meet attendees can find low prices and discover some fantastic vintage items that can be used as room decor.

The Motor-Vu swap meet is held weekends from March through November: Saturdays 8 a.m.–1 p.m. and Sundays 7 a.m.–2 p.m. Admission is free on Saturdays and $1 on Sundays.

One full day of fun doesn’t have to break the budget. You can catch a movie, eat some popcorn, do yoga at a farmer’s market and scope out some vintage treasure and still have enough money to avoid the ramen noodle diet.