Wildcats dominate Vandals in first home conference game

1-12 MBB v Idaho (Abby Van Ess) (16 of 23).jpg
Senior Kyndahl Hill leaps for a one-handed dunk Jan 12 against Idaho. (Abby Van Ess / The Signpost)

The Weber State men’s basketball team extended their six game winning streak as they took down the University of Idaho Vandals 91–66 on Jan. 12.

The Wildcats were ranked ninth in 3-point shooting percentage in the country as they entered Thursday’s game.

“Idaho is a very physical, tough team with strong bodies,” Weber State head coach coach Randy Rahe said.

From the start of the game, the Wildcats were tested physically.

The Wildcats started the game slow, allowing the lead to bounce back and forth between the two teams.

“I didn’t like how we guarded in the first ten minutes,” Rahe said. “I like how we played offense.”

The Wildcats offense was shooting 55.6 percent in the first half, compared to Idaho’s 51 percent and tough physicality.

The Wildcats began to pull away from the Vandals when senior Jeremy Senglin hit back-to-back 3-pointers to spark a lead that Weber State wouldn’t relinquish.

Senglin also had a huge dunk with 4:38 left in the first half that energized the crowd as well as the team.

The Wildcats took to the tunnel at halftime up by 15 points.

WSU held Idaho to only 30 points in the first half, and the ‘Cats also held the Vandals to 1–4 from beyond the arc.

Idaho turned the ball over 11 times in the first half. The Wildcats recorded three blocks and five steals. After the rust wore off from the 12 day break, the Wildcats defense created key stops they needed to win the game.

The Wildcats shot 7-of-13 from the 3-point line shooting. Both Senglin and junior Dusty Baker had three 3-pointers in the first half.

1-12 MBB v Idaho (Abby Van Ess) (9 of 23).jpg
Guard Jeremy Senglin dunks the ball against Idaho point guard Pat Ingram Jan 12. (Abby Van Ess / The Signpost)

Weber State continued the onslaught in the second half with ball movement and shot selection.

“Our thing offensively is to move the ball,” Rahe said. “Whatever it takes to get a good shot.”

Weber started the second half by showing their offensive strengths inside with two huge dunks within one minute of each other. Senior Kyndahl Hill served up an athletic one-handed dunk with 17:35 left in the game.

The Vandals responded with a jumper, attempting to quiet the Wildcat offense. On the next possession, the Wildcats moved the ball around to give sophomore Zach Braxton an uncontested dunk which energized the Weber State bench.

“When we see someone else do something good, that hypes us up,” Senglin said.

Weber State controlled the second half from that point on. The Wildcat defense held Idaho’s leading scorer Victor Sanders to only 13 points.

The Wildcats had five players in double digits for the game. Weber State continued their success from the first half from long range, ending the game shooting 58.3 percent.

The Wildcats finished the game with 17 assists, which is higher than the team’s average for the year.

The Vandals fell to 1–4 in conference play. With this win, Weber State moves to 4–0 in conference and looks to extend their winning streak throughout conference play.

“Six in a row isn’t good enough,” Senglin said. “We want more.”