Gems of the Pacific Northwest

1. Multnomah Falls:

untitled (8 of 8)
(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)

A beautiful waterfall on the side of the Columbia River Gorge. It’s the second tallest waterfall in the United States and the tallest in Oregon. It’s surrounded by red cedar trees and lush scenery. Any nature lover needs to see this 400-foot waterfall.

2. Voodoo Doughnuts:

untitled (1 of 8)
(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)

This wonderful place has colossal donuts, some filled with rich jellies—there are even naughty-shaped donuts from time to time. Established in 2002, this popular donut shop continues to lure tourists and locals alike for their wild and delicious flavors. As their slogan says, “Good things come in pink boxes.”

3. Powell’s City of Books:

(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)
(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)

Imagine a book store that’s three stories high and an entire block long. In heaven yet? Wait until you go inside. Established in 1971, this magnificent place has contained both new and used books for great prices. Their colored rooms contain many different genres. Any book lover needs to experience this piece of heaven at least once.

4. Tillamook Factory:

untitled (3 of 8)
(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)

This farmer-owned factory has produced some of the best cheese, ice cream and other dairy products for over a decade. The factory has daily tours open to the public, as well as free cheese samples and a few ice cream vendors. Dairy and ice cream lovers alike will find their taste buds craving Tillamook after the first bite.

5. Pike Place Market:

(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)
(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)

Volcanic ash statues, organic food markets, freshly caught fish—the possibilities for unique things are endless in Seattle. This public market has many ethnic restaurants and a spectacular view of the waterfront next door. It’s a diverse place with many hidden treasures waiting to be found.

6. Cape Kiwanda:

(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)
(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)

Part of the Three Capes Scenic Route, this beach is a must see for water lovers. Kids can run up and roll down the massive sand dune and explore the tide pools at low tide. With miles of nature and rolling waves, this beach will persuade any visitor to stay and relax.

7. The Octopus Tree:

(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)
(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)

Nestled in the woods by the Cape Meares lighthouse, this large tree attracts visitors with its interesting shape. The exact origins of its shape are unknown, but its unique appearance is something to behold. This Sitka Spruce is estimated to be around 250 years or older. It is also called the Council Tree and is sacred to the elders and shamans of Oregon’s Native American populations who performed ceremonies there. Go to Oregon, and behold this unique beauty.

8. Ape Caves:

(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)
(Amanda Lowder / The Signpost)

Not too far from Mount St. Helens, this lava shoot is a popular cave for tourists. Once you descend the stairs and turn the flashlight on, prepare for a great adventure. Massive rocks, pitch black darkness and long-solidified lava await every visitor. At the end of the trail, you can crawl onto your stomach and go through a small opening to enter another area at the end. It’s an easy adventure for families and will give some great memories. There are many other gems of the Pacific Northwest, but don’t forget these. The Space Needle looks cool, but trust me, any of these destinations will persuade you to move closer.