Award-winning Weber State faculty members

Known for upholding its many  legacies, Weber State University has recognized some of its faculty members with this year’s 2015 awards.

From the Hinckley award to the Dixon award, several staff members received some of the university’s most prestigious honors last week for their outstanding performance as scholars.

Here are this year’s award-winning Wildcats.

Honors Hinckley Award

According to the WSU Hinckley lecture series, the Hinckley award has been given annually to faculty members who have shown outstanding performance in teaching, scholarship and service.

As this year’s Hinckley award winner, Weber State welcomed professor and chair of sociology and anthropology Marjukka Ollilainen. Joining the Wildcat family in 1999, Ollilainen has taught 15 different courses and conducted research on gender and work, according to the press release.

Currently taking a lead role in gender and society studies, Ollilainen’s research takes a cross-cultural outlook and primarily focuses on parental-leave policies for faculty members throughout institutions.

Exemplary Collaboration Award

Working collaboratively across disciplinary boundaries within or across departments is how faculty members are nominated for this award, according to the WSU academic affairs website.

awards
The Weber State logo. Weber State recognizes several faculty members each year with prestigious awards. (Source: Weber State University)

Child and Family Studies Chair Paul Schvaneveldt did just that to be this year’s Exemplary Collaboration award winner.

Leading both the Weber State Family Literacy Program and Healthy Relationship Project, Schvaneveldt is focusing on programs that prepare children to be successful in their futures in spite of poverty and promote healthy relationships.

Dixon Award

Honoring the memory of the school’s chief administrator President Dixon, the Dixon award is given to professors who have gone the extra mile to distinguish themselves as teachers.

This year’s award deserving duo was English professor Judy Elsley and Provost and Academic Affairs Vice President Mike Vaughan, who were recognized for their excellence as Weber State faculty members.

Former recipient of the Brady Presidential Distinguished Professor and the John S. Hinckley Fellow Award for excellence in teaching, Elsley is honored for helping students become proficient and confident in the field of English.

Now the current director of the WSU Honors Program, she wants to offer widespread honors classes to Wildcats across campus, according to the press release.

Fellow Dixon award winner Vaughan was also recognized for his expertise in promoting the intellectual excellence of the university.

As the current provost, Vaughan is working hard to make education available to students and ultimately guide the university to success.

According to the press release, Vaughan will retire as provost in summer of 2015 to rejoin the Wildcat faculty.

All bestowed last week on March 18 and 19, these awards were given to commendable faculty members who will now uphold a piece of the Weber State legacy.