Women's basketball wins fifth straight game against Adams State

Freshman Kailie Quinn (4)
Freshman Kailie Quinn (4) goes up to try and grab the loose ball. Quinn led the team in scoring with 18 points.
(Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

For the fifth straight year, the Weber State women’s basketball team came away with the 84-68 win in an exhibition game against Adams State on Thursday night.

The Wildcats’ 84 points against the Grizzlies was tied for the most they’ve scored against Adams State since the two teams played their first exhibition game against each other in 2010.

Freshman Kailie Quinn led the team in scoring with 18 points off the bench. Quinn also tied for the team lead with four steals, while pulling down four rebounds and recording a block and two assists.

“It just felt right,” Quinn said about her performance. “I knew I came into the game as a shooter, so I’m here to shoot. So I came out and when I was open, I took the shot.”

After the game, WSU head coach Bethann Ord said she was impressed with the freshman’s first game at the collegiate level.

“(Quinn) did a terrific job off the bench,” Ord said. “Coming in and really showing a spark, not only in points but obviously getting the four steals and some of her assists and the hustle plays.”

Sophomore Deeshyra Thomas (2) keeps pace with a Grizzlies player as she drives down the court. Thomas had nine points and four rebounds in the win, along with three steals and two assists.  (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)
Sophomore Deeshyra Thomas (2) keeps pace with a Grizzlies player as she drives down the court. Thomas had nine points and four rebounds in the win, along with three steals and two assists.
(Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

Junior Jalen Carpenter had a double-double in the win, scoring 11 points and pulling down 12 rebounds, while also recording game highs with four assists and three blocks.

“(Carpenter) is finally starting to realize that she is our big scoring threat,” Ord said. “She did a great job with the double-double, but what I would like to see more from her is more rebounds, and be more aggressive on the defensive end.”

Along with Quinn and Carpenter, the Wildcats had three more players score double-digit points against the Grizzlies with freshman Sira Toure, junior Tinisha Toussaint and senior Brianna Averette each scoring 11 points.

With the team’s season opener coming up later in the week, Ord said that the team still had some things to tighten up on before the game.

“It’s about nuts and bolts. We gotta tighten things up. We got a lot of things to work on obviously,” she said. “Cleaning up the turnovers, executing, not fouling so much. I love seeing us be aggressive, but we got to watch for fouls.”

The Wildcats will open their season at home on Friday, when they host Montana-Western at 7 p.m. at the Dee Events Center.

“We’re good. Our chemistry is definitely there, we just got to work on cutting down on the turnovers. But overall we’re doing way better,” Carpenter said. “I think that we’ll work on (cutting down on turnovers) this next week and we should be fine.”

Heading into her first regular-season game with Weber State, Quinn said she is not worried about how it will go.

“I come into every game thinking it’s the same game. Same rim, same ball. People put on the same shoes as me, the same jersey as me, and I just come out and play,” Quinn said. “Yeah this is Division I and there is going to be better competition, but you gotta think of it as just another game.”