Nontrad students: You are not forgotten

The Nontraditional Center and Women's Center lists the resources available at Weber State University. (Source: Women's Center)
The Nontraditional Center and Women’s Center lists the resources available at Weber State University. (Source: Women’s Center)

Help is everywhere if you take the time to look for it.

With many available resources at our fingertips, Weber State can give aid to Wildcats in need.

Although sometimes overlooked, the nontraditional students have specific resources to benefit from, like financial aid and academic opportunities.

Here are some resources that shed light on what Weber State has to offer for nontrad students seeking to get more involved on campus:

Nontraditional Student Center Scholarships: What does it take to get a scholarship? Well, for nontrads, maintaining a 3.0 GPA, submitting a FAFSA and being nontraditional is pretty much all it takes. Some of these scholarships include the Rising Star Scholarship, Walter C. Swanson Scholarship and the Nontraditional Student Center Activity Wavier. Although the eligibility requirements vary from scholarship to scholarship, anything can help for a successful school year.

For more information go to www.weber.edu/scholarships.

Nontraditional Student Center Hourly Childcare: It’s hard enough in college to keep track of yourself. Throw in a couple of kids and your whole world can turn upside down. Lucky for WSU students the nontrad center is thinking about parents and their college experience. The hourly childcare offers flexible hours at minimal cost. Even back-up care is provided for parents in a bind. All you have to do is register at www.weber.edu/nontrad for application forms.

Single Moms Success Program: With a series of 10 group activities, the Single Moms Success Program gives mothers a chance to design strategies and connect with other single moms on campus. From goal setting, to learning how to cook on a budget, these activities allow Wildcat moms to build skills needed for college success. The program is free and all single parents are welcome to participate.

Contact the Women’s Center office at 801-626-6090 for more information.

The Women’s Center offers many different resources geared towards single moms and nontraditional students alike. (Source: Women’s Center)

Women’s Center Connection Book: Although some resources are not offered at Weber State, the Women’s Center Connection Book offers valuable insight into other available resources in local areas. Some resources include the WIC program to help mothers, child care resource and referral to help find good daycares and many more. The list goes on and on.

Pick up a copy at the Women’s Center located in the Shepherd Union Building, room 322.

Veterans Upward Bound: Branching off from the WSU Veteran Student Services, the Veterans Upward Bound offers college vets tutoring, financial aid application assistance and study skills development. Along with college survival advice, the VUB gives additional resources that any veteran can benefit from, like disabilities and employment resources.

Other resources on campus include the computer labs, writing center, Student Support Services, online tutoring, the Student Wellness Program, Services for Students with Disabilities and more.

For more information visit www.weber.edu/studentaffairs