Ski sale slides into WSU

Project - Drawing 1_34.png
(Madison Osborn)

This Wednesday marks the 15th year of the Weber State University Outdoor Program’s Annual Outdoor Gear Sale and Swap. The sale is from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the lower Bell Tower Plaza next to the Shepherd Union.

This event not only helps the WSU Outdoor Program finance the day-to-day running of the shop and get more recreational equipment into the community, but local retailers use the sale to kick off their busy season. With the winter months fast approaching, they are hoping to raise over $10,000 in sales during that sale.

This years vendors include Gear:30, Black Diamond, Alpine Sports, Z-works, Powder Mountain, Snowbasin, The Front Climbing Club, Klymit, Utah Ski Gear, WSU Bookstore and Crossroads Skate Park & Shop.

The event also welcomes any private sellers who would like to sell their own equipment.

“You can come and put your gear down and sell it for whatever you want,” Kayla Goldberg, the outdoor program assistant coordinator, said. “You don’t have to pay anything to try to sell it.”

The outdoor program will be selling paddle boards, inflatable kayaks, canyon coolers, dry bags, paddles, rafts, life vests, tents, backpacks, stoves, skis, snowboards and snowshoes, with some being sold at reduced prices.

“Some of these paddle boards retail for $1,200, and $400 is a screaming deal, and all the repairs have been done by the manufacture,” Goldberg said. “I would buy an inflatable kayak because you don’t have to put a hard shell kayak on your car, and you can just roll it up and put it in the back of your car.”

Other highlighted items include over 30 pairs of Atomic Skis, 6 Arbor snowboards, Osprey backpacks in multiple styles and two full sized rafts.

Most of the equipment has not been used for more than a season or two and have been maintained by a staff of professionals.