Raptors: All they do is win, win, win

27767672163_643620a8aa_k.jpg
Making his debut for the Raptors, starting pitch Nolan Long threw six shutout winnings against the Helena Brewers on Sunday afternoon. Photo credit: Michael Grennell

The Ogden Raptors will wrap up their seven-game home stand on Tuesday night when they take on the Helena Brewers.

After starting pitcher Roberth Fernandez faced the Brewers on Monday night, the Raptors will have Austin French take the mound for his second start of the season.

French — the Dodgers’ 27th round pick in this year’s MLB Draft — struck out four batters over three innings in his last start on July 14 against the Missoula Osprey. He has seven strikeouts on the season in seven innings pitched and has given up three runs, only two of which were earned runs.

Last Week:

The Raptors put together a season-high four-game winning streak, beginning on July 11 when they beat the Grand Junction Rockies 8-3. After taking the next day off, the Raptors returned home on July 13, where they swept a three-game series against the Missoula Osprey.

The three-game series marked the first time since 2010 that the Raptors had swept a series against Missoula. During the series, Raptors batters were 29-99 at the plate (.292) with six doubles, five home runs and 23 runs scored.

The Raptors’ winning streak came to an end on Saturday night, when the Helena Brewers scored a season-high 13 runs to snap their five-game losing streak in a 13-5 victory.

After getting blown out Saturday night, the Raptors bounced back to defeat the Brewers 5-4 on Sunday afternoon. The win meant a lot to Raptors manager Shaun Larkin, as the team had struggled earlier in the season to come back from a big loss.

“That’s something we had a hard time doing earlier this year, was bouncing back from a hard loss right away, and that’s why I’m happy with our guys,” Larkin said Sunday after the game. “We had a good winning streak, we took the loss last night, and we came back today and played a good, clean game. Today I think was the first time all year we were able to bounce back from a loss, play a good, clean game and get the win.”

28304877631_e199bf828b_k.jpg
Raptors third baseman Brock Carpenter watches the ball fly out of the park for his second home run of the season on Sunday afternoon. Photo credit: Michael Grennell

Players of note:

During the Raptors’ series against the Osprey, two 2016 draft picks hit their first professional home runs. Sixth round pick Errol Robinson hit his first professional home run in Wednesday night’s 8-2 victory. Later that night on Twitter, Robinson said that he found out his home run was caught in a fan’s beer cup.

Robinson finished last week 5-17 at the plate (.292) with a home run, four RBI and two runs scored.

One night after Robinson’s home run, 20th round pick Brock Carpenter hit his first career home run in the Raptors’ 10-4 win.

Carpenter was 7-23 for the Raptors (.304) with two doubles, two home runs, seven RBI and five runs scored.