Campus building hacks

In a hurry to get from class to class? Want to avoid the sudden rain or snow storm? If you know the right paths, you can go from one end of campus to the other with little to no stress at all.

Movin’ on up

Stewart Stadium is one of the highest points on campus, and to get there you might have to walk up four or five flights of stairs. If you grew up down close to sea level like me, your first time here on campus the thin air from the higher elevation plus the often times poor air quality will leave you gasping for breath once you reach the top.

Instead of sounding like a dying fish, head to the first floor of the Marriott Health Sciences Building. Once you walk in, head to your right and ride the elevator all the way up to the top floor where you’ll end up across the parking lot from the stadium.

Dodge the cold, rain and snow

Throughout the year, you’re going to have a lot of days where it’s raining, snowing or just really cold. There are several paths you can take through the buildings to get where you need to go while spending as little time as possible in inclement weather.

Ride the bus to campus? Run from the bus stop to the Wattis Business Building and head down the hallway all the way to the other end of the building. Step outside and you will be right next to the Student Services Center, where you can walk in and cross the bridge on the second floor to get into the Shepherd Union Building (mostly) warm and dry.

You can also get into Elizabeth Hall from the Business Building. Head inside the Business Building from the bus stop and inside the second doorway catch the elevator to the upper floor. From there you can walk over to Elizabeth Hall and enter the building through one of the two entrances on the first floor.

Avoid Elizabeth’s Elevator

If you have classes in Elizabeth Hall, be wary of the lone elevator in the building. It’s easily one of the slowest elevators on campus, especially during the periods of time between when classes end and classes start. If you are running late to class, your best bet is to take the stairs rather than wait for the elevator.

Using these “building hacks” will get you where you need to go, when you need to and with virtually no stress or worry.