Sexual assault awareness month at Weber

BW-Tower-Full.png
Weber State University's Women's Center to address sexual assault on college campuses for sexual assault awareness month. (Signpost Archives)

Eighty percent of sexual assault victims are under the age of 30, and 68 percent of sexual assaults are not reported to police. These numbers are according to the organization known as RAINN (Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network).

Weber State University’s Women’s Center will be hosting a month dedicated to informing students about sexual assault during April. There will be a series of events that tell victims’ stories, offer a safe haven for victims and teach bystanders what to do if they witness an assault happening.

On April 4, there will be a screening of the film “The Hunting Ground.” The film documents victims of rape on college campuses, attempted cover-ups and how the survivors fought back. This screening is free and will be held in the Wildcat Theater at 5 p.m.

Following the screening, there will be a panel discussion that includes President Chuck Wight, Chief Dane LeBlanc and many others.

Once the panel concludes, the Women’s Center invites everyone to join them in making posters for Take Back the Night. The center will keep supplies for anyone who would like to make posters for this event throughout the week of April 4 as well.

On April 8, the Women’s Center will be in the atrium to answer questions and concerns about being a bystander. The theme of this event is “How to be a good bystander.” This will give students the opportunity to learn more about what they can do to help victims of sexual assault.

The American Democracy Project will also host a Times Talk on April 8 where they will hold a discussion on the Clery Act. According to clerycenter.org, the Clery Act was a law passed requiring universities and colleges, who receive federal funding, to release information about crimes that happen on campus. This event will take place at the Shepherd Union Lair at 11:30 a.m.

On April 11, the center will host an event at the Pleasant Valley Library. The project is headed my Beth Temple, Violence Prevention Lead Coordinator of the Women’s Center. The event will include vignettes where actors will act out a sexual assault situation where members of the audience become the bystanders.

“So they’ll do the vignette, we’ll pause for discussion, I’ll ask the audience what went well, what kind of suggestions do they have of how they can improve it,” Temple said.

This event is hosted by OUTreach of Ogden, which is a resource center for the LGBTQ community. This event begins at 6 p.m.

On April 13, the Utah Office for Victims of Crime will host a panel in the Shepherd Union Sky Room starting at 3 p.m. This event is designed to inform victims of resources that are available to them.

The international event “Take Back the Night” will take place on April 14, beginning at the Moench Statue at Weber State. The march begins at noon where representative Angela Romero will be the keynote speaker. The march will be followed by a vigil and survivor speak out.

“We encourage all survivors (and other community members) to come and hold space and build community together,” Stephanie McClure, the Women’s Center director, said.

There will be a book club meeting on April 15 to discuss Jon Krakauer’s Missoula. Missoula tells the story of five women who reported rape or attempted rape at the University of Montana. The book club will meet at Café Ville Bella at 1 p.m.

The Counseling and Physiological Service center offers “Finding Voice Women’s Group” therapy every Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. in SC 280.

Weber State University police are hosting a four-day class on self-defense in the Swenson Gym. Classes will take place on April 12, 14, 19 and 21 at 5:30 p.m.

Childcare will be offered at some events. For more information go to weber.edu/womenscenter.