Glass Spider opens the door to publication

Vince Font, the owner of a local business called Glass Spider Publishing, has a new perspective on writers getting published that he would like the public to know about.

“(Glass Spider) is offering a route to publication that most people can take advantage of themselves,” Font says.

As the author of “American Sons: The Untold Story of the Falcon and the Snowman,” Font knows how hard it can be to get a book published. The process can be long and difficult, and there are many different steps to take.

Writers who want to get published need an agent to represent them to publishing companies, an editor to review their work and a designer to create the cover and layout their book.

2-24 Library Photo Illustration (Abby Van Ess) (3 of 4).jpg
Freshman Carter Campbell finds himself lost in a book at the library. (Abby Van Ess / The Signpost)

If the writer is fortunate, they get picked up by a publishing company. After that, writers sign a contract, effectively selling the book to the publishing company. That means the writer no longer owns their book or has any artistic right to the work.

This is how Font’s business is changing the game in publication. Glass Spider offers something different than most publication companies. On their website, students can find a list of packages to choose from that can fit their needs and desires, as well as their budget needs. If the writer is not looking for a full package, the company offers “a la carte” services, such as editing, formatting, cover design and so on.

Another unique opportunity that Glass Spider offers writers is the ability to get published and retain the rights to their work.

Font emphasized that that was one of the most important things to him with his business. With this platform, writers are able to keep their writing as their own and remain independent from a publishing company.

Nole Dekker, a young writer who is looking to get published, thinks that Font’s business is a great opportunity. Dekker knows that the publishing process can seem daunting, but she welcomes the challenge. Dekker also says that having a business that offers everything up front in packages or individual services keeps things easier for the writer and keeps the cost from tripling like it would with most publishing companies.

The publishing process isn’t easy or cheap. But with a business like Glass Spider, it can become a worthwhile investment. Associate Professor of English and Director of Creative Writing at Weber State University Siân Griffiths has had her work published and knows that the important thing to remember is that the goal is not solely to get published but to put one’s best work out into the world.

Font says that it’s almost criminal that there are writers out there who are too afraid to get their work published.

“If anyone thinks that they can’t get published, they are definitely not exploring their options,” Font says.

For more information on Font and Glass Spider, go to www.getmystorypublished.com