Cheap Weekly: Sledding 101

Rusty Conway and daughter Kyann Conway, 7, sled at Mt. Ogden Park. (Christina Huerta / The Signpost)

Utah is infamous for its crazy weather. For one half of the year we get severe heat waves, and for the other half we get serious snow storms. While summer is a time for sprinklers and the drive-in, winter is a time for sledding and frolicking through the snow.

There are plenty of ideal locations for sledding around Ogden, you just have to get out there and get started. Before you do, there are some things you should know about sledding. Here are a few ideas about how to maximize your sledding experience.

Snow

Utah is known for having the best powder on Earth for skiing and snowboarding, so it makes sense that it is the same for sledding. Any snow is good for sledding, but heavy, packed down snow is ideal. When the snow is packed down you’re able to go faster, whereas if the snow is powdery, you sink and slow down.

Sleds

Sleds can cost anywhere from $30 to $100, depending on how serious you are about sledding. Snow tubes are one option. They can be used by kids and adults with any experience level (not that sledding is too difficult). They are durable and can hold multiple people. Steerable sleds, like saucers, are for more experienced sledders because they’re alot easier to fall off. However, steerable sleds are great for speed, control and lightweight hauling.

Autum Galvin and Abigail Miller, 13, sled at Rohmer Park in South Ogden, UT. (Christina Huerta / The Signpost)

Locations

While picking a sled is important, it’s equally important to find a good place to sled. You’ll need a clear space with a safe landing area because running into things going full speed on a sled doesn’t feel good. “America’s Funniest Home Videos” should have taught you that by now. You also need a steep hill to catch some speed. Similarly, snow depth is important. If you land on a hard surface that isn’t covered in snow, you may hurt yourself and damage your sled.

Safety

With great sledding, comes great responsibility. It’s important to keep yourself safe while sledding. Before you head down the hill, make sure there are no people or hard objects at the bottom that you could hit. Normally when you’re sledding, your clothes will provide pretty good padding. However, with kids it’s a good idea to give them some knee/elbow pads, a helmet and adult supervision is always a good idea as well.

Where to sled in Ogden 

Now that you know what to do, you need to know where to go. Ogden is full of fun places to sled, you just have to explore. If you don’t want to go far, chances are there’s something near you. According to Utah Outdoor Activities, three great places in Weber County are El Monte Golf Course, Mount Ogden Park and Lomond View Park. The website also has places to look for in Salt Lake and Davis counties. Schools are also a good place to look for hills. South Ogden Jr. High is a great example.

There are countless places to sled in the area, so ask your friends, professors and family. Then, get out and enjoy the snow.