Weber State University to host LGBTQ Week

This week, the Weber State University Diversity Board, the Women’s Center and the Gay Straight Alliance have come together to put on the largest LGBTQ Pride Week ever at Weber State.

All of the events will take place on the WSU Ogden campus Monday through Friday. This year’s LGBTQ Pride Week is not the first Pride Week at WSU, but it is the first one to bring together so many resources.

Monday’s event is a National Coming out Day Celebration and Resource Fair. LGBTQ students will be celebrating their coming out to their parents, families and friends. This event will feature different groups including the new LGBTQ Resource Center on campus, The Women’s Center and Mormon’s Building Bridges. The festivities will be in the
Shepherd Union Atrium from 10 a.m.to 1 p.m.

The Women’s Center will also host an LGBTQ Healthy Relationship Workshop on Tuesday. Students can participate in the event in room 305 in the Shepherd Union building from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Participants can expect to learn how to avoid domestic violence in LGBTQ relationships.

From 12-1 on Tuesday afternoon, Sessions on the Ledge Poetry Slam will take place in the Shepherd Union Atrium and will be an open mic event and will also allow LGBTQ students to share talents.

Beginning at 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, the Wildcat Theater will have a screening of the film, “Milk,” Starring Sean Penn. This film is about the first openly gay elected official in the United States, Harvey Milk.

On Wednesday afternoon, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Andy Rivera, a researcher at the University of Utah, will speak in the Center for Diversity and Unity on advances in LGBTQ healthcare research.

“The LGBTQ community, especially the “T” (transgender), has a hard time finding doctors to do the surgeries they need,” said Stucki.

LGBTQ 101: What Does Sexual Orientation and Gender Mean? will be discussed by speaker Jayson Stokes on Thursday at 11am-noon in the Shepherd Union, Room 321. Families of LGBTQ students are invited to a panel 6pm-7:30pm, called The Other Side of The Coming Out Story.

The week’s events will wrap up with Drag and LGBT history workshop in the Davis campus Ballroom Building 3D. It’s a Drag World will feature a drag show 7:30-9pm.