Alumni art exhibit now on display

The art exhibit, located before the bridge in the Union, featured art from students around campus (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost).

WSU Diversity of Art Series kicked off this school year with the Homecoming Alumni Art Exhibit, Aug. 31-Sept. 5.

A Homecoming Week Kickoff Reception is being held Friday, Sept. 11 at 7:00 p.m. in the galleries of the Shepherd Union where students and community members can meet the artists featured in this exhibit and enjoy some free food.

This art exhibit, based on Sharon Louden’s book “Living and Sustaining a Creative Life,” reflects upon producing art in the face of life’s challenges at various ages.

The artists featured in this exhibit are all Alumni of WSU. The oldest artist featured in the exhibit is Fred Hunger who graduated in 1977.

The most recent WSU graduate featured in the exhibit is Holly Jarvis, current Outreach Manager for the Department of Visual Art & Design. Jarvis shared her take on presenting her art in this exhibit: “This show is significant for me because I think it opens a dialogue about what it means to be an artist beyond the visual image. It becomes an invitation to not only display my work but to talk about things like my experience as a student at Weber, my life as a creative person and my artist-relationship with the Ogden community.”

Regarding the theme of age in art, Jarvis said, “With time and age, art will change. I graduated three years ago, and even in that short amount of time, I think my art, my personality, my life, has already changed immensely. My art has always been very representative of my mental state, and painting has always been a means for recording time.”

Marketing and promotions intern for the Shepherd Union Art Galleries Tyler Hall explained that the Shepherd Union is a particularly apt place for this Alumni Art exhibition. “Homecoming is a campus-wide event that ties the whole university together, and the Student Union is the mainstay of interconnectivity on campus,” Hall said.

He continued to elaborate on the tradition of Homecoming being a perfect time for Alumni to come back to the WSU campus: “You spent so much time here, so you don’t have to feel like you can’t come back.”

In between classes, students can enjoy the three parts of the Shepherd Union Galleries: the Bridge Gallery, the Fireplace Gallery and the Shepherd Gallery.