Raptors fall in games one and two of the four-game series against the Osprey

The Ogden Raptors dropped the first two games of a four-game series with the Missoula Osprey. They will play again Monday and Tuesday with first pitch scheduled for 7:00 at Lindquist Field.

On Saturday night, the Raptors lead 5-3 before the Osprey capped off 7 straight runs to win 10-5. The Raptors fall to 15-15 on the season while the Osprey advance to 16-12.

Osprey short stop Isan Diaz hit a solo home run in the third inning off pitcher Michael Boyle. In the bottom of the third, the Raptors loaded the bases with no outs. After a walk by Willie Calhoun, the next three Raptors preceded to strike out.

Missoula grabbed the lead for good after Diaz’s 2nd home run of the game, this time a three run shot to left center that cleared the wall by what seemed like a mile. Missoula tacked on another four runs to win the game with a final score of 10-5.

On Sunday, the Raptors took on the Osprey for game two of the series. The Raptor bats couldn’t get much going as they only mustered one run in the game.

Missoula was feeling hot all day as they put up seven total runs, including two in the first and three in the 2nd to get off to a 5-0 lead. The Osprey tacked on two more runs tallying the final score to 7-1.

Osprey pitcher Cameron Smith became the Pioneer League wins leader, tacking onto his impressive 5-0 record on the short season. PBL saves leader Dan Savas pitched a scoreless, hitless ninth inning in a non-save situation.

Several Raptors players look to follow suit of previous MilBers to make it to the majors like Prince Fielder, Cory Hart, Rickie Weeks and JJ Hardy.

Third baseman for the Raptors Nick Sell signed a free-agent contract with the Dodgers organization in mid June. Since finishing his senior year at Seton Hall University, Sell holds the lead in career batting average, .398, home runs with 59, hits with 292, doubles with 59 and 242 RBI’s.

Sell has since continued his success after a short stint with the Arizona league Dodgers as he advanced to the Raptors in late June. Sell has three home runs, 18 RBI’s and is batting a whomping .338 for the Raptors. Don’t expect to keep his name getting called in Ogden as he looks to advance to single A team, the Great Lakes Loons.

Other names who are having exceptional seasons include Scott De Jung, batting .301 with five home runs and 20 RBI’s; Deion Ulmer, batting .311 and Matt Jones, batting .313 with five home runs and 22 RBI’s.

The Raptors and Osprey will continue the series in Ogden at Lindquist Field Monday night. LHP Anfernee Benitez (0-2, 6.23 ERA) and RHP Dennis Santana (0-3, 11.09 ERA) are scheduled to take the mound.