Veteran performers return to Layton amphitheater

Pizzicato Strings & Company, a group of young violinists, will perform at Layton Amphitheater on July 26. (Photo courtesy of Peggy Wheelwright)

Every summer, Layton’s Ed Kenley Amphitheater makes the summer air sweeter with great local performers. On July 26, that will continue with The Cutler Family Fiddlers and Pizzicato Strings & Company. For several years, these two groups have brought classical, popular and Americana songs to the audience.

The Cutler Family Fiddlers—siblings Ashley Beveridge, Luke Cutler and Heather Hendrix—have performed at the Layton amphitheater for several years. “It’s a great way for us to get together as family, practice and arrange music,” Hendrix said.

All three siblings were also taught by Peggy Wheelwright, director of the Pizzicato Strings & Company. “She taught us how to perform,” Beveridge continues. “It was one of the funnest things we did as kids.” Hendrix also agrees about their former teacher. “She taught us how to read music and the skills to perform,” she said.

Heather Hendrix, Luke Cutler and Ashley Beveridge make up The Cutler Family Fiddlers. (Photo courtesy of Ashley Beveridge)
Siblings Heather Hendrix, Luke Cutler and Ashley Beveridge make up The Cutler Family Fiddlers. (Photo courtesy of Ashley Beveridge)

The Cutler Family Fiddlers will open the upcoming concert where they will perform Americana songs, such as “America the Beautiful.”

The Pizzicato Strings & Company is a group of violin students, directed by Peggy Wheelwright. Kids that are between five to 18 years old perform twice a year in this highly respected and talented group. Approximately 25 pieces are performed by the group from memory. They learn both the popular and classical music through private lessons.

“It’s rewarding to see the students have a love for music and share that music with others,” Wheelwright says.

“It’s sentimental for me to perform with Pizzicato Strings,” Hendrix said. “Some of the same music they perform are some of the pieces that I played. I still remember my parts.”

Wheelwright is a member of the Ballet West Orchestra, a soloist with the Utah Symphony and has done film work and has performed with many popular singers and musical groups.

The theme for their performance is “A Salute to the Cinema.” They will perform tracks from films like “Harry Potter,” “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Frozen.”

“They are tight-knit community and have a happy spirit about them,” Wheelwright said about Layton. “The Layton community is very supportive,” Beveridge continues. “It’s always fun to come back.”

The concert will be on Sunday, July 26 at 7 p.m. Admission is free to the public.