Softball finishes a season for the record books

This season, the Weber State University softball team did something they haven’t done before.

They won big.

After a record setting year, the softball team dominated play at the Big Sky Conference championships and earned a trip to the NCAA Softball Regionals where they finished fourth in their region, losing to University of Louisiana-Lafayette and Mississippi State.

“This opportunity to compete in the NCAA Regionals was special,” said WSU head coach Mary Kay Amicone in a statement. “We learned a lot about ourselves and what it takes to advance. I couldn’t be more proud of our team. We are celebrating a great season with many tremendous accomplishments. We appreciate the hard work and leadership our senior class has given us.”

Amicone was named the Big Sky Conference Coach of the Year after leading the Wildcats to their first ever Big Sky Championship. The former WSU softball player led the team to a 38-17 record in 2015.

“We had a lot of contributions from everyone; we had role players that really bought into their role and stayed positive and helped us,” Amicone said in a statement. “If you look at the first weekend, we had a bye, and then we played straight through. All of our younger players made a big jump. We had one week, during spring break, where we played seven games in one week, and I think that was a great stretch of growth for our team. MaCauley was down because of injury and she needed to rest for conference, so it was important for everyone to step up and play their roles.”

This season the team broke records in several categories including finishing with 38 overall wins, 13 Big Sky Conference wins, and set team records for batting average (.319), runs (349), hits (490), RBI (309), total bases (701) and stolen bases (59).

Many of the players set individual records and earned conference honors. Junior third baseman Alyson Kulp, senior pitcher McCauley Flint, senior center fielder Malia Campos and freshman second baseman McKinley Brinkerhoff all earned First-Team Big Sky Conference honors, and Aubrey Whitmer was named the Big Sky Conference Newcomer of the Year. Several other players were awarded Conference honors

The team also excelled in batting. Kulp set a new team record for hits in a season with 78, while Whitmer became the first player in school history to bat for more than .400 as she finished with a .405 average.

The team was honored by the Ogden City Council in recognition for their success during a council meeting on May 26, where the council and Mayor Michael Caldwell passed a unanimous resolution to honor the team.

The team will take to the field again this fall when they look to replace the void left by the team’s seven seniors, who have hung up their cleats for good.

“We’ve preached to the players to stay humble and stay hungry, and I believe that they will do that,” Amicone said. “The summer is a key time for them to take a couple of weeks off, recharge, and get into their lifting and come back ready to go in the fall. They have to recognize that each year they get scouted and people try to attack you differently. They are learning they have to battle and work through things, and I know they will.”