Science Weekly: Weber's CS department helps engineer AI

Students at Weber State University build and design world's first AI that utilizes the  Internet. (Luis Sinco/Los Angeles Times/MCT)
Students at Weber State University build and design world’s first AI that utilizes the Internet. (Luis Sinco/Los Angeles Times/MCT)

Students from Weber State University’s computer science department in collaboration with COAST created the first artificial intelligence that utilizes the Internet to self-propagate its learning program.

Researchers utilized the work of ETH Zurich’s Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences, which was featured in a previous Science Weekly column, which showed DNA’s storage potential for eternity. Utilizing some of their own DNA, computer science engineers created their own biotech storage.

With the biotech storage in place, researchers and engineers designed a body that utilized solar cells that regenerate power through storing and employing UV radiation. This body houses a centralized processing unit that runs an operating system of their own design, which students affectionately call Atmosphere.

“Someone wanted to name it Sky because the sky was the limit with the functionality of this AI, but Atmosphere has a much better ring to it,” said Hector Iocus, computer science major and lead on the AI project.

The operating system runs off of new hardware technology that involves the use of diamonds to help keep the hardware from deteriorating over time.

“We’re pretty excited about this operating system. It utilizes drivers in a way that not only update themselves but generate new ways to update the firmware to better performance. Basically, it does what programmers do but for itself,” commented Iocus.

The next level of the OS is its own self-propagating learning system.

“The OS learns from the Internet and can access networks whenever it wants. This is what helps Atmosphere keep up to date on all the things added to the net,” said Professor Victoria Broma, the faculty supervisor for the project.

Students and Professor Broma will present their creation at the Interop Convention in Las Vegas where Atmosphere will go live on the net to show how fast it learns all the knock-knock jokes on the planet, just in time for April Fools Day.

Clarification: None of the facts you have read are true. Happy April Fool’s Day.