Sports in Brief: 3/27

Rodeo club to host competition

The Weber State University rodeo club will be hosting an intercollegiate rodeo Friday and Saturday night at the Golden Spike Event Center. Colleges from all over Utah and Idaho will be participating in every event possible for collegiate athletes. The event starts Friday, March 27 at 7 p.m. The action returns Saturday night at 7 p.m. Admission is $3 for students and $6 for the general public.

“For many of our athletes, this is one of their few chances to shine for the Ogden community and for the student body,” said Sage Thacker, president of the rodeo club. “Many on the team work hard all season long for this moment, and a couple will move on to nationals from this event. This will be a neat experience for all who come.”

Softball drops game to BYU at home

The Wildcats dropped a tough game to in-state rival BYU on Tuesday, falling 8-0 in just five innings. Senior catcher Mylee Brown went 2-2 on the day, and sophomore outfielder Sara Hingsberger and freshman outfielder Molly Horne were able to register hits on the day.

The Wildcats now stand at 22-11 on the season (3-0 Big Sky) and were on a seven-game winning streak prior to the loss to BYU. The Wildcats will move on to play a three-game home stand against Portland State this weekend. The first pitch will be thrown Friday at 2 p.m. with a second game to follow at 4 p.m. The final game in that series will be on Saturday at 12 p.m. Admission is free for the public.

Men’s golf takes the consolation prize

The Weber State men’s golf team traveled to California on Monday to participate in the Cal Poly Collegiate Match Play. After a day of intense play by the team, they qualified for the consolation prize match. The Wildcats were able to continue winning and take that match, sealing the victory for the team.

Michael Johnson was able to join Devon Purser for a lofty feat this season; he was undefeated in tournament play. Points for the team were also scored by Purser, as well as several other players from the team.