Baseball team in need of players

Weber State University has had a baseball team on campus since 1996, and over the past 19 years, they have won national championships and countless games. However, this year, the team has run into a problem: due to a lack in numbers, the team has been unable to play any games.

“I don’t think a lot of people know that Weber has a baseball team,” said player Ray Ruiz. “And that has presented a problem with finding guys for our team this year.”

They do not have enough men to make up a full team currently and are in search of anyone who is interested in playing. The team was supposed to participate in the NCBA Mesquite Invitational—a regional tournament in Mesquite—over the weekend before Spring Break but were unable to do so, due to their lack in numbers. With the season beginning and games approaching quickly, the team needs an increase in players now more than ever.

The team is looking for at least five to six more players who would like to participate. They encourage anyone who has played before to come out and join. “We would like some players who have had some experience in playing baseball before,” said coach Caden Mahoney.

Weber State plays against teams from around Utah, like Utah State University and Utah Valley University. Along with going up against schools in Utah they also travel to different states like California, Arizona, Idaho and Montana to play other teams there.

“If you have played baseball in the past and miss playing, then club baseball is the way to go,” said player Nate Thompson. “We are competitive, but we also go out there and have fun.”

The fee to join this semester is $400. This fee includes being part of the team, hats, uniforms and the travel to different states.

“The fee is a little higher than usual this semester because we got brand new hats and uniforms this year,” Mahoney said.

The practices are currently being held at the field house from 8 to 9:30 p.m. The team is trying to begin practices outside soon if the weather stays nice. For anyone interested in joining, you can contact Mahoney at (801)-513-0467 for information.

“After high school, most people stop playing baseball if they don’t get a scholarship.” Ruiz said. “Our club team is a good way for guys who want to continue to play to get that opportunity to do so, as well as to meet new people.”