The Signpost recognized for excellence by Utah journalists

Autumn Mariano's "Zombie Apocalypse" page won first place from the Utah Press Association for best in-house promotion.
Autumn Mariano’s “Zombie Apocalypse” page won first place from the Utah Press Association for best in-house promotion.

As the evening came to an end, The Signpost was the buzz around every table at the Utah Press Association’s winter convention after winning 10 first place awards and placing in 19 categories.

Dozens of owners and representatives of Utah newspapers from all over the state gathered March 6 to recognize their peers for their excellent journalism and efforts to inform and educate the residents of the state of Utah.

The Signpost competed against professional weekly newspapers such as the Payson Chronicle, Summit County News, Times-News, Gunnison Valley Gazette and The Eagle to name a few.

The Signpost took home the biggest award, the General Excellence award, which is the newspaper that complies the most points in the various categories.

Raychel Johnson, 2013-14 editor in chief, won first place for the Best General News Reporting Single Story for her coverage on Ogden’s trolley district working to gain city support. This award focuses on articles with general interest and news value, writing style and reporting excellence.

Recently announced 2015-16 Editor in Chief Abby Payne won first place for Best Editor’s/Feature Column for her columns.

Brett Ferrin, 2013-14 graphic editor, won first place for Best Staff-Produced Ad for his elaborate “Dead Man’s Party” advertisement, which was evaluated for creative quality and reader impact.

Correspondent Scott Stevens won first place for Best Sports Story for his story about Davion Berry coming to WSU.

Kaitlyn Johnson, 2014-15 photo editor, won first place for Best Photo Page for her photo essay on WSU’s culinary competition.

Autumn Mariano, 2014-15 graphic editor, placed first in Best In-House Self Promotion for The Signpost Block Party “Zombie Apocalypse sweeps WSU campus.”

Communication Chair Sheree Josephson and her spring News Reporting and Writing class won third place for Best Special Section for their “The Air (and other crap) We Breathe.”

3-16 UPA15 General ExcellenceThe Signpost also won first place for Best News Coverage, Best Staff-Produced R.O.P Ad Campaign for “Where’s Waldo” and Best Website by Nate Branning; second place for Best Breaking News Story by Michael Anderson Kruse, Best Sports Column by Tyson Jex, Best Front Page by Mariano and J. Michaela Funtanilla and Best Sports Page; third place for Best Feature Series, Best News Photograph by Lichelle Jenkins, Best Feature Photograph by Jamii Freston and Best Feature or Community Lifestyle Page.