Cheap Weekly: Stewart Library offers video game lab

Father and son gamers, Thomas Bauer II and Thomas Bauer III practice playing the video game, Halo, at their home in Cooper City, Florida, on Sunday, April 16, 2006. The father and son team spend about an hour each night playing together, along with two other teammates in preparation for a four on four Halo competition hosted by the Professional Gamers League of America.  (Jacqueline Lydie Kazil/South Florida Sun-Sentinel/KRT)
Father and son gamers, Thomas Bauer II and Thomas Bauer III practice playing the video game, Halo, at their home in Cooper City, Florida. (Jacqueline Lydie Kazil/South Florida Sun-Sentinel/KRT)

In our digital society, there are few people who haven’t played video games or at least used a gaming console.

While they’re great for parties, avoiding homework and streaming Netflix through your TV, they can also come with a hefty price. And that’s just for the machine to play the games. The games themselves can cost as much or more than the console does, especially for newer games.

If you want to get your fix of electronic games, or impress a fellow student with your awesome video game skills, but can’t afford the price tag, the Stewart Library on the Weber State University campus has a solution for you.

While video games are almost a universal language, they can be a little hard to get into if you don’t know which ones to go for. Personally I’m an Xbox sort of girl, but I’ve played other consoles and they all have their strong points. Here is a short list of a few games the library has you may want to check out.

“Wii Sports” (Wii)

One of the classic Wii games, “Wii Sports” is a great date game because it isn’t super easy to play and requires no skill or prior experience. Whether in a group or just two, “Wii Sports” is a great way to loosen up and enjoy an evening of digital antics. Featuring baseball, bowling, boxing, golf and tennis, there’s something for everyone in this game. Don’t worry about not being able to play these games in real life—the digital versions of these games take little to no actual skill to participate in and enjoy.

“Halo” (Xbox)

I can’t think of a more classic shooter game than “Halo” and subsequent “Halo” titles. There’s nothing terribly confusing about the controls and there are great multiplayer levels. I have many fond memories of playing “Halo” with my brother in middle school. If it’s easy enough for a middle school girl to play, any college student can play and enjoy “Halo.”

“Super Smash Brothers” (Wii)

When I say anyone can play “Super Smash Brothers,” I really mean anyone can play it.  Since the controller is basically a glorified baton with a few buttons, there’s no crazy button smashing combinations or insane finger ninja skills required. I was originally introduced to this game by a few cousins of mine. They were masters, so they beat me pretty badly, but even after getting my dignity smashed by them time and time again, it was still a lot of fun. Even as an observer, “Super Smash Brothers” is a really great multiplayer game and ideal for party settings.