If you can’t beat the enemy, join him

(Graphic by Autumn Mariano)
(Graphic by Autumn Mariano)

Stress! Student life can be stressful, and there are many things that automatically trigger a person’s stress. It is true that we live in a very stressful world; with all the things on our to-do list and so little time to do them, it can be difficult to find time to slow down and relax.

We are halfway into the semester, and students are starting to feel the pressure  of school, work and all of the other things that they have to take care of. The truth is that even students need a moment to take a deep breath and relax once in a while.

According to helpguide.org, a guide to better mental and emotional health, there are strategies that anyone can use to manage stress successfully.

Avoid unnecessary stress.

People always try to do more than they can handle. Many of us are guilty of doing so. For example, we want to take 15 credits at school, work a full-time job and have a social life. Honestly, it’s possible, but there’s no guarantee for a stress-free environment or that there will be enough time in the day to relax.

Small changes such as prioritizing tasks and keeping an agenda are things that can help avoid unnecessary stress. By keeping on track, you are eliminating possible stressors.

Alter the situation.

The helpguide.org website suggests that changing the way we communicate and modifying our routines may help eliminate stress. Altering a situation such as avoiding a stressful situation can help eliminate stress.

This could be, for some, really tough to do, but if the results we are getting are not what we expected time and time again, it is time to change that routine. Start by managing time better, planning ahead and making sure not to overwork yourself.

Preparing things the night before and working on big projects or homework ahead of time are some of the things students can do to alter their situation and avoid stress.

Adapt to the stressor.

There is a popular saying, “If you can’t beat the enemy, join him.” It is the same with stress; if we can’t do anything to change the stressor, the quick fix would be to change oneself.

If attitude is changed then people can adapt to stressors. Begin by being more positive. Helpguide.org suggests focusing on the positive, which will help keep things in perspective whenever things get hard.

Trying to turn a stressful situation to a positive experience can also aid stress management.

Make time for fun and relaxation.

Once the three other suggestions are learned and applied, there is time to have fun and relax.

It can be difficult when thinking about all the things that need to be done, but there has to be time to have fun and relax. In a daily schedule, there should always be time to relax and rest.

It can be as simple as playing a game for 15 minutes, reading or watch your favorite television show. You don’t have to spend money or do an activity that takes a lot of time. Instead of looking at 15 minutes of stopping and resting as a waste of time, look at it as an investment of your well-being. Taking breaks give you a moment to re-charge, which helps to feel less stressed, making one able to accomplish much more and be more focused.

“Being in control of your life and having realistic expectations about your day-to-day challenges are the keys to stress management, which is perhaps the most important ingredient to living a happy, healthy and rewarding life,” said Marilu Henner, an American actress, producer and author.

Weber State University has resources available to all students who suffer of stress, the WSU Stress Relief Center for example.

The Stress Relief Center was created to provide students with means to help students reduce stress and help them feel better. Some of the tools to help relieve stress that the center provides are massage chairs, chi machine, light sound machine and inversion tables.

The Stress Relief Center is located on the WSU Ogden Campus in the Swenson Complex on the second floor in rooms 60 and 61. It is directly across classroom 62 and scheduled to be open from Monday trough Friday. Students are welcome to drop by the center anytime the lab is expected to be open.