FanX offers nerdvana to Utah geeks

(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Gandalf statue stands guard in the Salt Palace Convention Center. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)

Nirvana. Elysium. Heaven. They are all words of paradise that hold different meanings to different people. Through the eyes of a geek girl, they are filled with visions of dancing Deadpools, the Borg and trolls.

This year, for FanX 2015, our deity was The Doctor.

For those of us on the fence about going to FanX,  the answer was “yes” as soon as the announcement came that the 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) was actually coming to Salt Lake City with Amelia Pond (Karen Gillan) in tow.

(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
The DeLorean with the hover board. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)

Charlie Bradbury to some, Codex to others or Felicia Day to the general public was another face that filled FanX with excitement. Would she be as adorably dorky in real life as she is in “Supernatural” and “The Guild”? The answer was another resounding “yes.”

(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Even Katana needs to eat occasionally. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)

This year’s FanX held a little bit of everything for almost every fan girl (or boy). From fantasy to sci-fi, thousands piled into the convention center this weekend to catch a glimpse of those actors who fill their dreams with a possibility that there is more to life than the monotony of everyday life.

FanX was no different than Comic Con in the fall or Fantasy Con in the spring.

Unless there is announcement of the names Jared and Jensen, this fan girl will hold out until the big Comic Con in the fall should they announce another con for spring.

(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Smeagol from “The Lord of the Rings”statue at FanX 2015. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Troll statues representing the trolls seen in the movie “The Hobbit.” (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Statue of one of the trolls at Salt Lake City’s FanX 2015 (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Penny and Uncle Gadget at Salt Lake City’s FanX 2015. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Storm trooper and an R2 unit robot. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
The Batmobile from the 1966 “Batman”  television show. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Everything is awesome in Legoland. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Resistance is futile with the Borg.(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
(Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
Whether simple or intricate costumes, cosplayers take their hobby seriously. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)
1-30 FanX (Elizabeth Ruttenbur)-0492
FanX 2015 at the Salt Lake Convention Center. (Elizabeth Ruttenbur/ The Signpost)