WSU student alleges off-campus rape

BW-Tower-FullA female Weber State University student has reported she was raped in a neighborhood between campus and the Dee Events Center by multiple attackers during the first week of the semester.

The Ogden City Police Department is investigating the allegation and working with Weber State University Campus Police  to keep her safe.

Campus Police Chief Dane LeBlanc confirmed his department was contacted by a Weber State student who said she was raped off campus. Because it occurred off campus, LeBlanc turned the information over to the Ogden Police Department.

Ogden Police Lt. Danielle Croyle said the department has opened an investigation, confirming the victim was female and that she told detectives there were multiple attackers. Croyle also confirmed the woman identified herself as a WSU student.

WSU campus police is ensuring the woman’s safety during the investigation, as required by the Jeanne Clery Act, LeBlanc said.

According to the Clery Act, “Institutions are required to inform the campus community about a ‘significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees.'” It also requires “colleges and universities, both public and private, participating in federal student aid programs to disclose campus safety information, and imposes certain basic requirements for handling incidents of sexual violence.”

Weber State police reported two rapes in 2013, three in 2012 and two in 2011 on campus in its Clery Act report for last year. None were reported off campus.

Croyle encouraged anyone who is a victim of a sexual assault to look into local resources in the community, such as Your Community Connection (YCC) to speak with a crisis counselor, and to  report rape to police.