Late night fire displaces 20 at apartments near Dee Events Center

1-26-15 Fire (Ariana Berkemeier)  (2 of 3)
Ogden firefighters on the scene at a fire at the Brentwood Apartments on Monday night. Six apartments were damaged and 20 people were displaced by the fire. (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

A fire broke out at the Brentwood Apartments, located near the Dee Events Center, shortly after 10:30 p.m. Monday, leaving 20 people displaced.

Ogden Deputy Fire Chief Eric Bauman said that the fire department received the call at 10:42 p.m.

“When fire crews arrived they found the fire … in the third floor attic area, and they were able to evacuate everyone out of the apartments safely,” Bauman said.

Bauman said there were no injuries to either residents or firefighters from the fire, and that all pets in the apartments had been reunited with their owners. He also said there were six apartments that were damaged by the fire.

“We’ve got 20 people who are displaced,” Bauman said. “But the good news is they all have accommodations, places that they can stay.”

Nicole Simmons, a general studies student at Weber State University, who lives at the Brentwood Apartment Complex, said she had no idea at first what was happening when the fire broke out.

“Just a couple minutes ago we were watching a movie, and we heard people coming up the stairs,” Simmons said. “We didn’t really know what was going on.”

Josh Heninger, an accounting major at WSU and a resident of the Brentwood apartments, said that shortly after he and his wife returned to their apartment he thought it smelled like someone was roasting marshmallows, adding that they heard sirens and people being loud but didn’t think much of it at the time, because it was normal to hear sirens and loud noises at the complex. They became aware that something was wrong when they heard pounding on their door, as well as their doorbell being rung. Heninger said that as soon as they left the building he saw firefighters rushing inside the complex with hoses.

When asked early Tuesday morning, Bauman said that the cause of the fire was still under investigation.

“We do have the fire marshals and investigators on scene, so they’ll be doing their investigation,” Bauman said. “As of now we can still just call it under investigation.”

A tweet from the Ogden Fire Department stated that the estimated damage from the fire was around $100,000.