Men's team conquered by Vikings 69-63

The Wildcats struggled to get anything going Thursday night, as they fell to the Portland State Vikings 69-63 to extend their losing streak to two games.

“We are just not tough enough right now,” said WSU coach Randy Rahe. “This is Weber and we have been know to be a tough team, and this year we are not hitting that mark.”

After a jump shot by Joel Bolomboy to start the game, the next six minutes saw the lead change twice and the score get tied four times. Portland State then pulled ahead after an 11-4 run. The Wildcats battled back and narrowed the Vikings’ lead to seven points. The score at the half  was 31-24.

After the Vikings extended their lead to 11 points in the second half, the Wildcats rallied back and went on a 27-15 run to take their second lead of the game. The lead was short-lived as the Vikings came back to take the lead and eventually win 69-63.

Jeremy Senglin had a big night for the team, shooting 5-11 from the field, as well as being perfect (8-8) from the free throw line. He ended the night with 21 of the team’s total points for his second 20- point performance in the Wildcats last three games.

“Losses like tonight are hard on us,” Senglin said. “Tonight I was able to go out there and get something started, and I trusted my team to have my back. Despite that, I know we just aren’t being that tough right now.”

Chris Golden had one of his best performances in recent games for the Wildcats, shooting 5-11 from the field and 3-8 from three-point range. He finished the night with 14 points—his fourth-highest total of the season—and also pulled down six rebounds.

“The positive note for us right now is that we haven’t splintered as a team, we still trust each other to get the job done,” Golden said. “Right now we just need to look at ourselves and play harder and tougher to make it through the season.”

The team has fallen to 8-10 on the season (3-4 Big Sky) and have had a hard time getting started all season long.

“I don’t care about the results right now, I’m not an X’s and O’s coach,” Rahe said. “We are constantly being told we are young this year, and we are, but we are tired of that. It’s time for us to grow up.”

Coach Rahe spoke after the game on his plans to help the team improve on this season.

“We have a day and a half before our next game and we will spend every moment of it preparing for it and getting ready,” he said. “I may not have all the answers right now, but we will work hard and get ourselves tougher and back on track.”

The team will return to action on Saturday against Sacramento State. Tip off is at 7 p.m. and admission is free for students with their Wildcard. Tickets start at $5 for the general public.

Charles can be found tweeting @cbowkstar_91 or cheering his heart out at any Wildcat sporting event