Weber State announces new volleyball coach

New WSU volleyball head coach Jeremiah Larsen.  (Source: Weber State Athletics)
New WSU volleyball head coach Jeremiah Larsen.
(Source: Weber State Athletics)

The Weber State University Athletics Department announced Friday that former Utah State University volleyball associate head coach Jeremiah Larsen has been named the new head coach for the Weber State volleyball team.

“I am honored and humbled to be chosen to lead the Weber State volleyball program,” Larsen said. “I am excited to start working with the great student-athletes at Weber State as we build a foundation of success in the Big Sky Conference.”

Larsen has spent the last four seasons on Utah State’s coaching staff. While with the Aggies, Larsen was the recruiting coordinator, also overseeing the team’s defensive scouting and statistical analysis. Larsen was on staff with USU when the Aggies won the 2012 Western Athletic Conference title.

Before coaching at Utah State, Larsen served as an assistant coach for three seasons at Southeast Missouri State and for one season at Missouri State. This will be his first time as head coach of a program at the collegiate level.

“We are thrilled to have a coach with the experience and energy that Jeremiah will bring to our program,” WSU Athletics Director Jerry Bovee said. “We look forward to big things with him at the helm.”

Larsen played for the Brigham Young University men’s volleyball team as a setter and libero and was on the BYU team that won the 2001 NCAA Championship.

The Wildcats will begin their season in August as they look to bounce back from a 7-24 record in 2014. Former head coach Tom Peterson resigned at the conclusion of the 2014 season after spending four seasons with the Wildcats.