WSU volleyball extends losing streak

Senior outside hitter Audrey Biggs attacks the ball in the Wildcats home-opening loss to Montana.   (Kaitlyn Johnson / The Signpost)
Senior outside hitter Audrey Biggs attacks the ball in the Wildcats home-opening loss to Montana. Biggs recorded five kills in the loss to Southern Utah, and a team-high 11 kills against Northern Arizona.
(Kaitlyn Johnson / The Signpost)

The Weber State volleyball team continued their downward slide over the weekend, as the Wildcats were swept by Southern Utah University and Northern Arizona University to extend their losing streak to six games.

The Wildcats started off their weekend with a three-set loss at Southern Utah, losing 25-18, 25-11, 25-21.

Audrey Biggs and Megan Thompson both had five kills in the loss to Southern Utah, as the team combined for a total of 24 kills. Biggs also led the team with 10 digs on the night, while setter Taylor Christensen had 21 assists. Audrey Hunter had the highest hitting percentage on the team, hitting .333.

“They did a good job to keep us out of system and that really hurt us on our ball control,” WSU head coach Tom Peterson said. “We played much better in the third set and made it competitive. But we can’t let this loss determine how we play the rest of our matches this weekend. We need to keep our head up and keep battling.”

The team hoped that they could end their losing streak by grabbing a win at NAU, but the Lumberjacks swept the Wildcats 32-30, 25-16, 25-16.

The loss dropped the Wildcats’ record to 6-20 overall with a record of 2-10 in Big Sky Conference play.

Biggs had a team-high 11 kills, while Thompson was one of three others to gain nine kills. The team showed some improvement against Northern Arizona, as Weber State had a total of 42 kills.

Tarbox ended the match with a total of 11 digs, and is now one dig short of moving up to seventh on the WSU all-time digs record list.

“That first set of the match may have been one of our best all season,” Peterson said. “I also felt that our emotions were even throughout that set but they made some amazing plays to deny us the set. We just continue to be an and up and down team.”

The Wildcats traveled to Grand Canyon to play an out-of-conference match on Monday, where they lost in five sets 25-22, 24-26, 25-20, 16-25, 18-16.