WSU volleyball gets historic win at Utah Valley

Redshirt freshman Taylor Christensen sets the ball during the Wildcats' home opener earlier this season.  (Kaitlyn Johnson / The Signpost)
Redshirt freshman Taylor Christensen sets the ball during the Wildcats’ home opener earlier this season. Christensen had a match-high 47 assists on Tuesday night, more than UVU as a team combined.
(Kaitlyn Johnson / The Signpost)

For the first time in team history, the Weber State volleyball team left the court at Utah Valley University winners, as the Wildcats defeated the Wolverines in four sets (25-22, 26-28, 25-18, 25-17) on Tuesday night.

The win was the first for the Wildcats against the Wolverines since Nov. 4, 2008, when Weber State swept UVU in three sets (31-29, 25-21, 29-27). Since their first match against each other in 2003, the Wildcats were 6-9 leading up to Tuesday’s game, as the Wolverines had won the last five match-ups against WSU.

“I thought we played a pretty even match, even in the one set we lost,” WSU head coach Tom Peterson said. “We reacted well when they made some great plays and the game of momentum is much more on our side right now. We are getting better and it shows as we just beat a couple of good teams.”

Setter Taylor Christensen played well with 47 assists, nine digs, six blocks and five kills.

“Taylor had a great match and it seemed like she was really intent on making sure that we beat that team tonight,” Peterson said. “She is only a freshman and if she can continue to develop the way she is, she is going to be a really good player for us.”

The Wildcats had three players with double-digit kills against UVU, as senior Audrey Biggs led Weber State once again with a match-high 22 kills. After recording five block assists in the win, junior Audrey Hunter moved up to ninth all time in career block assists with a 259 career block assists.

The Wildcats will host Northern Colorado Thursday in the Swenson Gym at 7 p.m.