Biennial exhibition showcases faculty art

9-23 faculty exhibit Lichelle Jenkins (4 of 5)
Biennial Faculty Exhibition at Mary Elizabeth Dee Shaw Gallery. The exhibition is open through Nov. 5 and is free to the public. (Lichelle Jenkins/ The Signpost)

A variety of artwork from traditional 2-D and 3-D sculptures, to computer-based pieces fill the Mary Elizabeth Dee Shaw Gallery in the Kimball Visual Arts Building for the Biennial Faculty Exhibition. The exhibition features art from 31 artists who work in the Department of Visual Art and Design. Professors from the art department, including adjunct and art history instructors are encouraged to participate and submit at least one piece.

9-23 faculty exhibit Lichelle Jenkins (2 of 5)
“Sine Wave: Through Laboring Lips, 2012” by Molly Caitlin Morin, WSU visual arts assistant professor. (Lichelle Jenkins/ The Signpost)

Artists used things such as branches to make more of a mother nature feel, electricity to bring light to the show, some hand drawings and paintings, and big and small pieces. There was even an art piece that I mistook for a person! What I thought was a person was actually a full-sized model of a female body that appeared to be made out of plaster, and stands in the middle of the room. I wanted to touch it to see what material it was made of, but I didn’t want to knock it over, and of course I know not to touch art.

The exhibit ends on Nov. 15, so there is still plenty of time to get in and see the creativity of WSU’s faculty, and it’s free.

9-23 faculty exhibit Lichelle Jenkins (5 of 5)
“Commander GA, 2014”, made with cherry wood and created by Jim Jacobs, WSU visual arts professor. (Lichelle Jenkins/ The Signpost)
9-23 faculty exhibit Lichelle Jenkins (3 of 5)
The Biennial Faculty Exhibition is displayed in the Mary Elizabeth Dee Shaw Gallery of the Kimball Visual Arts Building. The exhibition runs until Nov. 15. (Lichelle Jenkins/ The Signpost)