Wildcats fall short in homestand

A Weber State player gets knocked down while a UTEP player takes possession of the ball.  (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)
A Weber State player gets knocked down while a UTEP player takes possession of the ball.
(Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

The Weber State soccer team lost both of its home games over the weekend, as they dropped into a tie for sixth place in the Big Sky Conference standings.

On Friday, the Wildcats hosted Hawaii in a 4-3 overtime loss, stifling a late comeback attempt by the Wildcats. Weber State went into halftime trailing 3-2 when a second half goal equalized the score, sending it into overtime.

Both the team and the coaches were unapologetic about their performance.

“From how we played in the entire game, we didn’t play well enough to deserve a win,” said soccer head coach Tim Crompton. “We weren’t as organized and moving in the way that we practiced and though we made a good comeback, we didn’t show that we deserved the win.”

Junior defender Brecken Holbrook was also frank about their performance.

Brecken Holbrook (10) defends the goal against UTEP.  (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)
Brecken Holbrook (10) defends the goal against UTEP.
(Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

“To be honest, we really had about 40 minutes of good play in the game, and aside from that we just weren’t performing up to par,” Holbrook said. “The few moments when we were able to get things going were great, but it wasn’t enough to overcome Hawaii.”

The scoring began early, when Rainbow Warriors freshman forward Sonest Furtado scored a 15-yard goal just six minutes into the game. The Wildcats were able to even the score when Stacy Bair scored on a penalty kick, coming off a Hawaii hand ball in their own box during the 24th minute of play. Bair’s goal was the 475th goal in the team’s history.

Things got rough when Hawaii scored again in the 29th minute of play when sophomore midfielder Storm Kenui made the shot off of a Furtado assist. In the 32nd minute of play, things worsened when a cross from a Hawaii player was deflected into the goal off of Holbrook for an own goal.

The Wildcats brought the score up with a header made by senior midfielder Mackenzie Peck off of an assist by Holbrook. They tied the game later in the second half when junior forward Mackenzie Harrison made a shot off of an assist by senior defender Ryley Hansen  The tie was short lived,  Hawaii was able to put the game away 30 seconds into overtime off of a shot by sophomore midfielder T J Reyno.

Chansi Crompton (2) fights for possession of the ball.   (Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)
Chansi Crompton (2) fights for possession of the ball.
(Ariana Berkemeier / The Signpost)

On Sunday the Wildcats faced off against UTEP, which was coming off its first loss of the season at the hands of Utah Valley on Friday night. Despite that, the Miners put up a physical showing and beat the Wildcats 2-1.

“It was a tough game and they did well,” Crompton said. “But when you are playing with as many players down as we are, there is little room for error and we just made too many.”

The Wildcats had a rough first half, with nothing being done until UTEP midfielder Taylor Kidd made a shot from 15 yards out 37 minutes into the game. UTEP scored again 50 minutes into the game when Angela Cutaia made a header off of a Tayler O’Hayre assist.

Weber State was not able add a score until the 64th minute when sophomore forward Lana Willard was granted a penalty kick in the box. Unfortunately the physicality of UTEP and the Wildcats’ exhaustion proved to be enough to end the game.

The Wildcats have fallen to 3-4-0 from this weekend, but are looking to pick it back up.

Weber State will next play on the road in California, where they take on Loyola Marymount on Friday. They then move on to play Cal State Northridge on Sunday afternoon.

Weber’s next home game is set for Oct. 3, when they host Northern Colorado at 3 p.m.  Admission is free to both the public and the student body.

Charles can be found on Twitter @cbowkstar_91 or can be found acting like a fool at all Wildcat sporting events.