Computer breach on main campus

Weber State University began mailing students on Aug. 4 about a potential breach of information obtained from computers in the Science Lab Building and Building Four.

The Science Lab Building and Building Four were burglarized which allowed for the breach. A student attending the university was suspected and charged on July 29. Security measures in place helped to quickly identify the suspect.

Approximately 1,200 students will be receiving letters from Weber State University within the next week. The letter provides information on resources to help those affected prevent and respond to identity theft.

Faculty, students and staff who have used computers in the Science Lab Building computer lab or faculty and staff office computers in between Jan. 2014 and April 2014 can ask for help with credit checks and get additional information by calling 801-626-7070 or emailing [email protected].

Routine security measures which prompt students, staff and faculty to change their passwords have been enacted since the breach occurred.

Vice President of Information Technology Bret Ellis says that cameras are just one of the ways that they detect crime on campus.

There are ways students, faculty and staff can help keep themselves safe from hackers.

“It’s important to have separate passwords for everything and change it often. We (Weber State University) make everyone change their passwords every 120 days. It’s always a good routine to change your other passwords at the same time,” advised Ellis.

As software advances, changes and updates, the information technology on Weber State University campus adapts to the growing changes in technology.

“As we become aware of new ways hackers get into things, we put processes and applications to stop them from getting in,” said Ellis.

Tuesday it was reported that Russian criminals stole 1.2 billion user names and passwords from over 420,000 websites.  These criminals make their money from spamming fraudulent products such as weight loss pills.

Ellis reports that whenever he hears something like that in the news, he changes all his passwords and he advises everyone to do the same.

The Signpost will have more information as the story unfolds.