Sci-Fi Heroine: Best travel apps for your Spring Break

One of the perks of having a smartphone is the instant access to a plethora of knowledge. Smartphones have made vacations and travel a little easier on people who are road-/sky-bound during Spring Break.

For those of you lucky students, faculty or staff members who are trotting around the globe during your break, sometimes we can be lost in translation. The Google Translate app for your smartphone can bridge the gap in language when you really just need to know where the bathroom is another country. This app comes with a voice-to-text capability, making it faster to translate “Where is the bathroom?” to “Donde esta el bano?” This app is available on all smartphone operating systems.

iPhone users have the app called Travel List available to help organize your comings and goings on your vacation. When you don’t have a list, it’s easy to forget the necessities. This allows you to make a checklist for your packing so you don’t forget your camera or toothbrush.

Tripit allows you to forward your hotel, airline, car rental and restaurant confirmations to your phone. Doing this allows you to create a digital itinerary right at your fingertips. You can also sync your Google Calendar and Outlook to your app. You can get directions, maps and weather on the app as well. Tripit is available for all smartphone users.

CityMaps2Go allows you to avoid data charges with offline access to maps and travel guides for the whole world. Data charges can be pricey, especially during international travel. This app is available on Android and iOS.

As for iPhone and Android users avoiding extra data charges, there is an app for that. Wi-Fi Finder brings up the Wi-Fi hotspots all over the world. The best part of this app is it is absolutely free to try to find free Internet on all smartphone operating systems.

For those of you hitting the open road for Spring Break, it’s always nice to keep apprised of the rest stops and exits up ahead. iExit is just the app for those venturing to places they’ve never driven before. You’ll always be in the know of the next gas station up ahead. For the users who love to plan as you go, this app is available on the iPhone and the Android.

To keep your friends, family and loved ones in the know of what is going down on your vacation, Instagram is always a favorite, but for those who just need to see a loved one’s face, Skype is free and allows you to do video chat. Skype is available on all smartphone operating systems.

Minube is a user-compiled app that allows you to access over 100,000 mini guides from fellow travelers. It tracks spots nearby that other travelers recommend. Sometimes it is nice to see the small discoveries other people have made on their own journeys. Minube is available on all smartphone operating systems.

Road trips can be a blast, and although you may think you are too old for road-trip games, you are sorely mistaken. Road-trip game apps can make the barren desert between Vegas and San Diego bearable. Scavenger hunt games, license plate games, Karaoke Anywhere and trivia games are available for your enjoyment during those long trips in the car.

While traveling, safety is a must. In Case of an Emergency allows you to store all your medical records, height, weight, blood type, emergency contacts, allergies and your insurance information in one app. It also will help you find any emergency services in more than 200 countries. TravelSmart does a similar thing, except with the added bonus of a drug and common medicine translator for a assortment of different languages. Both are available on iOS and Android.

Whether you are venturing in state, out of state or out of the country, these apps will allow you to enhance your vacation.