Nick Dynasty: BCS era comes to an end

Goodbye. Good riddance. I hope to never see you again.

These are my sentiments toward the BCS, or Bowl Championship Subdivision, in today’s college football.

I have always disliked the BCS model and what it did, or, for that matter, didn’t do for college football. After 16 long years of controversy and letdowns, it is now time to move on to the next chapter in college football: a college football playoff.

It’s a new playoff system where a committee will chose the top four teams in the country and they will play two semifinal games. The winners will then meet and play for the national championship. I think I speak for many when I say it’s about time.

I have not been a fan of this since its inception, but let’s not forget that there have been some epic games played under the BCS structure. Games like the . . .

2003 Fiesta Bowl: Ohio State vs. the University of Miami. A Miami team that consisted of future NFL stars like Willis McGahee, Andre Johnson and Kellen Winslow. And let’s not forget the stud running back for the Buckeyes that year, Maurice Clarett. This game featured 18 future first-round draft picks. It went into double overtime and saw the Buckeyes grab a 31-24 victory and their first national title in over 30 years.

2007 Fiesta Bowl: Boise State vs. Oklahoma. Considered to be one of the greatest finishes to a college football games ever, the 2007 Fiesta Bowl was college football at its most dramatic. The Boise State Broncos built a decent 18-point lead, only to have the Sooners of Oklahoma come back. The Sooners then tied the game, and on the next Broncos offensive play, the Sooners took a pick back for a touchdown and took the lead.

The Broncos then ran a little trickery and executed a hook-and-ladder play on a fourth down and took it to the house for a 50-yard score. It didn’t end there; the game goes into overtime where Oklahoma running back Adrian Peterson scores on the first play. Boise State then forges back and scores a touchdown of their own on a halfback pass. The Broncos then made the gutsy call to go for two instead of the game-tying extra point and ran a successful Statue of Liberty play to seal the win, 43-42.

These are just a couple examples of great games that came from a flawed system. All year I looked forward to this being the last year of the BCS, and could not have dreamt of a better game to end it with than the national championship game this last Monday night.

It matched up Heisman-winner Jameis Winston and his Florida State Seminoles against what seemed to be a team of destiny this year, the Auburn Tigers. Auburn exploded out to a 21-3 lead and looked as though the game was theirs. The ‘Noles fought back to make it 21-20 in the fourth quarter. The teams then traded scores, with Winston throwing the game-winning touchdown with 13 seconds left in the game and capping off Florida State’s undefeated season.

The BCS might not have been perfect, and I was not a big fan of it at all, but it did allow us to see some of the greatest college football games ever. As long as great games are played, we should not care how the games are chosen. I had to learn this. I now look forward to more historic games under the playoff format and the next chapter in college football.