Softball scores win against Southern Idaho

20131017vs Southern Idaho (Tyler Brown)-9
(Photo by Tyler Brown)
Weber State University softball player Brooke Silva attempts to get a double play in a game against the College of Southern Idaho. The Wildcats defeated the Golden Eagles 4-3 on Thursday.

The Weber State University softball team squeaked out a win against the College of Southern Idaho on Thursday, defeating the Golden Eagles 4-3.

Junior MaCauley Flint had another strong pitching performance. Flint got ahead of the opposing hitters early and often to finish them off.

“We started off a little rocky, but our team is gritty, and we just kept fighting,” said Flint after her performance.

Not only did Flint throw the ball well, but the Golden Eagles’ pitchers did a good job in keeping WSU’s hitters off balance and unable to find rhythm.

The Golden Eagles got on the board early, putting up a run in the bottom of the first. Although Flint and the Wildcats quieted the Golden Eagle bats, WSU couldn’t get much going offensively.

WSU was finally able to string some hits together in a fifth inning that was capped off by a two-run hit off of the bat of freshman Katelyn Robinson.

The score stayed 2-1 until the ninth inning, when WSU sophomore Alyson Kulp knocked in a run on a triple that one-hopped the fence in left center field. This brought the score to 4-1 going into the last inning.

In the 10th, CSI was able to get a little bit going and put up two runs, but fell short as the last out was recorded and left the tying run on base.

This game was the last home game of the preseason schedule for the softball team. It will conclude its fall games at a tournament in Provo on Saturday.

The preseason is used to prepare for regular season play, and that is done in a multitude of ways. Flint said that what she thought the team had improved upon the most during the preseason was “our work ethic. It is always hard when a team gets a new coach, but Coach Amicone is a great coach, and we are coming together very well.”

Kulp alluded to the importance of the fall season as well and the difference from th

20131017vs Southern Idaho (Tyler Brown)-6
(Photo by Tyler Brown)

is year to last.

“We have done a lot better (this fall) than we did last year,” she said. “We continue to work and build a good foundation.”

With tournament play beginning in February and conference play starting in March, the Wildcats have plenty of time to build, learn and prepare for the upcoming season.

“We still have a ways to go to be where we want to be, but I’m really excited for the season to come and to show these teams what we are made of,” said Flint, in regards to the state of her team after the preseason.

Kulp stressed the importance of the winter break.

“We need to do something to get better every day. We are good already, but there is always room for improvement, and we can still get better.”