Orientation: WSU offers options for parking, transportation

Fall semester has arrived, which means students are filing in to pack the parking lots like sardines. Weber State University Parking Services has put together multiple options to make students’ lives a little less hectic.

Parking on campus

WSU has multiple options available for parking on campus. However, permits are required Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Students can purchase their permits online via the student portal.

— ‘W’ permits cost $71 for the academic year (from August to the following August) or $56 per semester. These allow students to park in any of the seven ‘W’ lots on campus as well as the parallel parking on Edvalson Street, Dixon Drive and 4100 S. Parking on Harrison Boulevard is free. ‘W’ permits are required for any students taking classes at the Davis campus.

— R/W permits are required for students living in residence halls only and are valid in R/W, ‘W’ and Dee Events Center lots.

— Temporary permits for the day or week are available at the drive-up information booth between the two roundabouts on Dixon Drive. These cost $2 a day or $8 a week.

— Meters are available in the A1 lot (near the administration building), A2 lot (near the education building at the center of campus) and the A7 lot (near the Swenson Gym). Meter parking costs $1 an hour.

— The public pay lot operates Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and is located near the duck pond. The cost is $1.50 for the first hour and $1 for each additional hour.

For students arriving later in the day after 12 p.m., Parking Services offers temporary permits for $2 a day to park in any ‘A’ lot locations (terms are subject to change; confirm when purchasing permits).

Crystal Taylor, the manager for WSU Parking Services, said many students will ask other students about the rules of parking and be told false information. She said she wants all students to feel free to call Parking Services at 801-626-6533 or visit www.weber.edu/parking to make sure they get the correct information.

Dee Events Center

Dee Events Center permits cost $23 for the academic year or $18 per semester. Dee Events Center parking is abundant and makes life a lot easier for students, said Mike Whetton, fleet manager. The campus shuttles run from 6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The shuttle runs every 5–7 minutes from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and every 15 minutes before 7:30 a.m. and after 1:30 p.m.

The shuttle stops are located at the south side of the Dee Events Center; however, during construction the stop will be located at the east side of the center, and will then return back to the south side. The campus stop is behind the Stewart Library.

For questions about shuttle services, students can contact Whetton or his assistant, Ross LaRue, at 801-626-7220.

UTA Ed Pass

UTA’s Ed Pass is an inexpensive way to travel, whether it’s to get to campus or for activities during free time. Students can purchase an Ed Pass for $20 at the Shepherd Union Information Desk, which provides one-year admission to ride the UTA buses, FrontRunner and TRAX in Salt Lake City. For students who want a ride to school without the hassle of road rage or parking, this is the way to go.

Fast Bus 650

For WSU students living in Davis County or near a FrontRunner stop, there is an additional option. Jerry Graybeal, the assistant vice president for auxiliary support services, said he is excited for WSU’s new fall Fast Bus program. Fast Bus 650 is a dedicated route for WSU students that will go from the Ogden Transit Center, located at 2350 S. Wall Ave., straight to the Ogden campus. The Fast Bus begins pickups at the transit center starting at 7 a.m., returning every 30 minutes. The last bus leaves at 2:35 p.m. Buses leaving the Ogden campus start at 10:15 a.m., with the last bus leaving at 2:50 p.m. The bus will stop at all four UTA bus stop locations on campus. More information is available at UTA Rideshare.

A few extras

WSU encourages students to ride bicycles to campus. The WSU Bike Plan shows designated bike paths and racks on campus as well as the dismount requirements. Skateboards and longboards are not allowed, and riders caught using them on campus will be ticketed. WSU also has vehicles available through the U-Haul carshare program. Those interested in renting a vehicle can visit www.uhaulcarshare.com.