WSU Athletic Department looking for interns

The Weber State University Athletic Department is starting a new program for the upcoming year. They will be looking for undergraduate or graduate students to work in the department as an intern.

“We believe our internship program is one of the most comprehensive in the field since we currently offer opportunities in several different areas,” said the WSU Athletic Department regarding internships.

WSU Athletics is looking for graduate or undergraduate students to work in a variety of areas which include community relations, creative services, customer service, event operations, marketing and promotions, and ticket sales. All positions encompass both independent and group projects relating to the various events in WSU Athletics.

The department is looking for 10-12 students to fill the various intern positions, working closely with members of the WSU athletic programs. The position is unpaid, but participating students may receive class credit.

“I think that it’s a terrific opportunity for students to develop their skills,” said Ron Goch, assistant athletic director for marketing and promotion. “We are so excited.”

He said the whole athletic department staff is working very hard to bring a very good experience to interns.

“We work with students’ school schedule, so in that way, they don’t feel pressure, and they can have a social life too.” Goch said.

The internship is not only for WSU athletes. Every student who is interested in the internship may apply for it. Those who are selected to be WSU athletics interns will acquire practical knowledge through hands-on experience and gain invaluable skills necessary to compete for jobs in the athletics and sports industries when their internship is completed.

Shawn Schindler, who is currently working as an intern, said the internship program has been enjoyable and that the experience has been very effective in teaching real life skills and building relationship with other athletes.

Goch said he thinks that being selected for the internship is strongly based on reputation. One day, he was helping out with a camp and one of his assistant trainers walked up to him and asked him if he would be interested in the internship, and he said, “Of course!”

“Some of the benefits that the internship has,” Schindler said, “is a lot of knowledge and instruction to bring to school and careers.”

Goch has encouraged students who are interested to apply for the internship; applications can be found by going to www.weberstatesports.com and clicking on the link about the internship program.

Interested students who may have questions concerning the program, or the application process can also contact Goch at 801-626-6731.

“I encourage all WSU students to come to join this internship because it is really so much fun and learn a lot.” Goch said. “So do it. Come join the internship. Students will have some fun in learning athletic skills and in the same time improve your future work skills.”