Wildcats respond to Boston bombings

Taylor Kipp, criminal justice junior:
I got on Facebook, actually, and then one of my friends, Michael Valdez, he was sharing all these live links to watch it on the news, and I was like ‘What? Boston explosion? What happened exactly?’ I clicked and I started watching the live feed and them rushing people over in wheelchairs and trying to get them down the street to the medical tent. And then I heard they found another bomb in the JFK Library, and I was like, ‘Who would really do this?’ and then I found out it was a terrorist attack.

Sam Burnett, English freshman:
First of all, I was shocked. I didn’t know if it was, like, something that blew up on accident or if it was like an actual attack. And then I was watching the news at work, and then when I saw that they were saying that it was a terrorist attack, I don’t know. It just made me really sad thinking that people would mess with something like the Boston Marathon. Like, that’s just like a strong community of runners that are all out enjoying their life.
You kind of relate to it. It’s like their hobby. It’s something that they do as a relief, you know, like people doing sports or anything else. You do it because you think, you know, you’re safe and you’re having fun. It’s kind of an attack on you personally. Even though I wasn’t there or know anyone there, it still makes me a little angry.
My aunt was actually in the Boston Marathon, but she finished before that happened.
I’d still do it (run in the Boston Marathon), because as soon as you give up, it’s like letting them win.

Jake Alvey, English major:
That actually kind of screwed with me a little bit, because I’ve always thought it’d be kind of cool to one day run in the Boston Marathon. It still sounds awesome, but there’s always going to be that thing in the back of my mind like, ‘What if something really sketchy happened?’
It hasn’t instilled an absolute fear in me, but it’s definitely had an effect on the way I view actually attending the Boston Marathon or running in it.
I feel it’s highly unlikely (an attack around here). Anyone who’s trying to do something like that is likely trying to cause as much damage as possible, and . . . a more densely populated urban area is a higher target for that sort of action.
I was upset. I was worried about the people who were affected, especially people who were probably paid runners, sponsored runners who probably do it for a living. If they’ve been dismembered in any way or had any kind of amputation from the explosion, that completely destroys their career. I feel really a lot of sympathy for people. That’s awful.

Sandi Weber- non-trad senator for this coming year:

I feel like my team and my family was attacked. And the Boston Marathon, it’s the Super Bowl. It’s the Tour de France. It is the race of all races, and that’s where those of us who have out in the most dedication. And those family members on the side, those are those ones who are mainly hurt. . . . You took something that so much good comes out of, you have people who have made it a life goal and put dedication and time and effort into it, and you take those families that are there supporting and there is so much love, and you attack them.

How do you take something so good and attack it and tear it down? My son is 8 years old, and that drives me nuts that it was the first (death) announced. That hurt so bad to think my son could be standing on the sidelines as I run my first marathon next month and that he could lose his life for being there to love and support me.

I know that there was a movement in the running community to wear a running shirt today, so I’ve got mine on.