Women's tennis team splits weekend games

Over the weekend, the Weber State University women’s tennis team split two matches, first defeating the University of North Dakota, then falling to the University of Northern Colorado.

Against UND, the Wildcats trailed early on, losing the doubles point. UND took all three doubles matches 8-4 and claimed an early point over WSU. But the Wildcats bounced back in singles play. Thais Kurer claimed the first point for WSU, defeating Megan Sween 6-0, 6-2 in the No. 4 singles match.

Kristi Elmer, Michelle Warwick and Annika Karlsen also won their games in straight sets to give WSU the win. Elmer defeated Callie Ronkowski 7-6, 6-4 in the No. 2 match; Warwick knocked off Sarah Stejskal 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 5 match, and Karlsen beat Mindy Lawrence 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 6 match.

Ashley Tanner and Nittaya Phonharath also got wins on the day, but their matches took a little more work. Tanner’s match against Stephanie Petsis went to five sets in the No. 1 match, and Phonharath knocked off Stephanie Biehn in four sets in the No. 3 match.

On Saturday, WSU fell to UNC 4-3. Once again, the Wildcats failed to win the doubles point. This time, they were unable to bounce back in singles play.

The Bears won the No. 1 and 3 doubles matches to take the opening point and got a split in singles to produce the victory. Tanner and Warwick took the only doubles win for WSU, taking an 8-7 (7-5) win over Claire Uhle and Chrissie Hoolahan in the No. 2 match.

Tanner, Elmer and Kurer each earned wins in singles play for the Wildcats. Tanner rebounded from a 7-6 first-set loss to Jennifer Buchanan at No. 1, winning the final two sets 6-2, 6-4 to earn her victory. Kurer also won in three sets, defeating Uhle 6-2, 5-7, 6-2 at No. 4. Elmer won her match in straight sets, taking down Elizabeth Tapia 7-5, 6-1 at No. 2.