Golf team takes third in California

The Weber State University men’s golf team took third place earlier this week at the California Polytechnic State University Match Play Championship at Cypress Ridge Golf Course.

Jeff Jones led the way for WSU. He finished with a 3-0 record to score three points, helping the Wildcats claim a third-place finish, which is the highest the team has finished this year.

The Wildcats opened the tournament with a 3.5-1.5 win over Utah State University, but lost their next match, falling 4-1 to eventual tournament champion California State University, Bakersfield. In the final round, WSU secured third place with a 3-2 win over the Cal Poly B-team.

CSUB wrapped up the tournament title with a 3.5-1.5 win over Seattle University.

Jones started his undefeated week with a 2-1 win over USU’s Reed Platke, then scored the team’s lone point against CSUB with a 6-5 victory over Matt Hammons. The senior from North Ogden finished off the tournament with a 3-2 win over Jordan Wright.

Senior Matt Wahlen added two points for the Wildcats on the week, defeating Kris Sayer of USU for his first win and Derick Strain of Cal Poly.

Jordan Herzog contributed 1.5 points for the Wildcats. After opening the tournament by splitting a match point with USU’s Tanner Higham, he then fell in his match against CSUB. Herzog came back in strong, closing out Cal Poly’s Alex Romo. Herzog won the match on the 12th hole for a commanding victory.

WSU’s Colton Dallimore added one point with a win over the Aggies’ Zach Waxler in the Wildcats’ first round win.

Now WSU will take part in the Cowboy Classic in Arizona this weekend. After that tournament, the Wildcats will return to Utah for the Cougar Classic, hosted by Brigham Young University.