Tennis falls to No. 36 team in the nation

The Weber State University men’s tennis team fell to a team ranked 36th in the nation last week, losing 6-1 to Santa Clara University.

The Broncos took the first point, winning the doubles No. 1 and 2 matches. The Wildcats won at No. 3 doubles, as Anthony Trabert and Ryan Garner took an 8-5 win over Eugene Muchynski and Tomasz Soltyka.

In singles play, Sanjay Goswami earned the only point for the Wildcats, pulling out a 6-2, 2-6, 6-2 win over Soltyka in the No. 5 match.

Garner also went to a third set in his game, but dropped a 6-3 final set to lose to Muchynski.

WSU head coach Brad Ferreira said that, while the team didn’t get the win, he still saw some good performances on the day.

“Ryan and Anthony played a great doubles match for us today,” Ferreira said. “Sanjay was the man of the match with a fantastic performance against a solid opponent.”

Ferreira also said he saw good performances out of players who lost their games.

“I was also pleased with the performances of Todd (Fought), Jakob (Gewert) and Ryan in singles,” Ferreira said. “They each fought hard against some very good competition.”

WSU will now take on Colorado Mesa University on Friday.