WSU track team picks up more qualifiers

The Weber State University indoor track and field teams gained several more Big Sky Championship qualifiers over the weekend at the Jackson Invitational in Boise, Idaho.

The men’s team saw five members qualify for the conference meet. Men’s head coach Dan Walker said he saw a lot of improvement from the first meet.

“We are a lot better team than we were after the first meet,” Walker said. “We had lots of improvements and picked up some more qualifiers. I’m really happy with our performance.”

Mike Hardy won the mile run for WSU with a time of 4.10.80. Freshman Synjohn Lilly also qualified in the 60-meter run with a time of seven seconds. Lilly’s time ranks in the top 10 in school history.

Matt White also qualified in two events — first in the 200-meter, which he finished in sixth place with a time of 22.09 seconds. Then he qualified in the 400-meter, which he also finished in sixth place. WSU also saw another athlete qualify in the 400-meters: Dustin Durfee qualified with a time of 48.99 seconds.

In the 800-meter run, Zach Schweingsberg came in sixth with a time of 1:54.84, and Stetson Smith came in fifth with a time of 1:54.05.

WSU also saw some success in the field events. Cylor Morgan was the top collegiate finisher in the long jump, with a career-best 24 feet, five and three quarter-inches — the best distance in the Big Sky Conference this season, and the fifth-best indoor distance in WSU history. Logan Leavitt also qualified in the long jump with a personal-best jump of 22 feet, 10 inches.

Derek Harrebomee took second place in the weight throw with a throw of 58 feet, four-and-a-half inches.

On the women’s side, eight athletes qualified for the Big Sky Championship meet and 23 athletes had season-best numbers. Women’s head coach Jim Blaisdell said he was happy with the performance, but still saw some areas the team can improve.

“We made some good progress,” Blaisdell said. “We picked up several new qualifiers and made some good improvements. We still have some areas we need to improve on, but we’re moving in the right direction.”

Three members of the team met the qualifying standard in the mile run. Sarah Callister finished with a time of 4:51.09, a career best for her and the fourth-best time in WSU school history. Laken Hintze also qualified in the mile with a time of 4:57.74, and freshman Jamie Stokes posted a time of 4:58.12 to qualify.

Jerica Wilson finished fifth in the 400-meter and qualified with a time of 57 seconds. Adelyn Jones posted a career-best time of nine seconds in the 60-meter hurdles, the eighth-best time in school history.

In the field events, WSU had four new conference qualifiers. Ashley Bartlett reached the standard in the high jump with a mark of 5 feet, one-half inch, and Elisa Isakson qualified in the pole vault at 11 feet, 9.75 inches.

Natasha Powell finished fourth overall in the shot put with a mark of 44-00.00, which also ranks as the seventh-best mark in school history. Katy Hufford was the second collegiate finisher in the long jump with a mark of 18-05.00.

Now WSU will head to Pocatello for its next meet this weekend, when the teams will participate in the Mountain State Games. The Wildcats have three indoor meets remaining before the Big Sky Indoor Conference Championship.