Nathan's Notations: Wildcats have important game this week

While there are still a lot of games left, the Weber State University men’s basketball team may be playing one of its most important games this weekend.

Things are looking good for the WSU men’s basketball team right now. It’s undefeated in conference play, and things are heating up for another tight race for the conference title between WSU and the University of Montana.

The Wildcats are about to embark on one of the most challenging parts of their schedule, and it could possibly be the difference between the conference tournament being held in Ogden or in Montana.

The past few seasons, there have just been a few games separating the Wildcats and Grizzlies. This year looks to be no different. That means the matchups between the two teams are vital. The first game of the season between the two rivals will come this week, with WSU traveling to Montana.

Saturday will see the ’Cats and Grizzlies play for the first time this year. Both teams are coming in riding winning streaks, and it should be a good game. Both teams are undefeated in Big Sky play.

If WSU can get a win in Montana, it’ll stand a good chance of winning the conference title. Last year, it was evident how important hosting a championship game can be. The Grizzlies’ fans played a huge part in the game. I think that, had that game been played in Ogden or on a neutral court, the Wildcats would have won the conference championship.

I think the Wildcats have a very talented team this year, and they have been on fire so far this season. Joel Bolomboy has been amazing in his first year. He’s been huge defensively and in getting rebounds for the Wildcats. Scott Bamforth is also playing great at the moment.

WSU has also been great at home, and stands a decent chance of knocking off the Grizzlies in Ogden later this season. That’s why Saturday’s game is so huge for WSU. If it can steal a win on the road, it stands a much better chance of finishing atop the Big Sky rankings and earning the right to host the Big Sky Conference Tournament.

The Grizzlies will be a tough opponent, though. Now that Will Cherry is back, their offense is looking good, with Mathias Ward and Kareem Jamar also playing great at the moment. Stopping that trio will be key if WSU is going to get the win on the road. If they struggle to contain those players, it could be very hard for the Wildcats to get the win.

Another thing I’d like to talk about concerning this game is that the Big Sky really needs to have games like these on TV somewhere. I know they’re available to watch on Big Sky TV, but this game seems too big to not be on. This is one of the biggest games of the year, and the only way it can be watched outside of Montana is to watch the online feed. It seems like a local station could broadcast it or something so that more people could have the chance to watch.

Since, for now, that option doesn’t exist, if you want to watch the game, you’ll gave to tune in online. If you’re a fan of basketball, I’d suggest you do. This should be a great and very competitive game, with both teams fighting hard to claim the top conference spot.