Senate discusses extending library hours

Weber State University’s Stewart Library is considering extending its hours on Friday and Saturdays.

(Photo by: Kenny Haeffele) Economics major Ted Jeong studies in the library. According to student senate, more students are starting to use the McKayDee Hospital lunchroom to study, because it is open 24/7.

At a recent meeting, student senate members discussed the issue of students leaving campus to study in the cafeteria at McKay-Dee Hospital after the library closes. The library is currently open until 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday, but closes at 6 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

A.J. White, a student senate member, leaves campus to study at the hospital cafeteria after the library closes.

“My concern was just that it would be better if we could keep students at Weber longer, instead of having students go to the hospital or any other study place,” White said, “especially because a lot of students, like myself, are preprofessional students who spend a lot of time in the library studying. We just think it would be nice to have a quiet place to be able to study, like the library. The union building is open until midnight on Friday and Saturday, but it’s just louder in there, with the bowling alley going and dances sometimes.”

White said studying at the hospital cafeteria started out as a secret, with just a few students going there to study, but that a lot of students go there now.

“The hospital has a nice quiet study area behind the cafeteria, and they’re open 24 hours a day,” White said.

White said he would like for there to be more hours to study on campus in the Stewart Library, or to have a similar space on campus available for group study when the library is closed.

Brendan Squier, a senior at WSU, said he goes to the library to study every day, but he said he usually goes to the hospital cafeteria to study toward the end of the day.

“It’s not bad, but it would definitely be nicer if we could stick around campus instead of having to relocate and stop studying for a bit,” he said.

Squier said he has been relocating to this off-campus study area since he was a sophomore at WSU. He said he has noticed a big difference in how many students go there to study now, as compared to when he first started going there.

“With the trend that it is going, it will probably just start getting crowded,” he said. “It’s not a big space that you’re in, but now that it’s getting more popular, I’m sure that eventually it will get overfilled.”

Squier said he typically studies in groups of 3-8 people. He said that usually when students migrate to the hospital cafeteria from the library, they will stay until about 12:30 a.m. at the latest.

University librarian Joan Hubbard said rooms available for group study are most accessible late in the afternoon.

“There is also a large conference room adjacent to the Library Administration Office that we are happy to make available for groups of eight or more,” Hubbard said.

The Stewart Library hours are extended during finals week. The library is currently scheduled to close at 8 p.m. that Friday and Saturday.