WSU turns to fly fishing for stress relief

After the demands of teaching or attending class and countless hours spent on grading or completing homework, many Weber State University faculty and students are using fly fishing as a way to relax after a stressful day.

Student Robbie Knot is using the rivers of northern Utah to escape from the day-to-day life of school. Having come to WSU at the beginning of the year from Montana, Knot is a junior looking to graduate with a major in radiology who tries to get out fly fishing at least twice a week.

“Where I grew up in Montana, I used to do a lot of fly fishing,” Knot said. “Just being outside, the fresh air, the scenery — there is just something about it that makes you forget about the daily grind. At times school can be tough, and if you don’t find ways to keep everything in check, things start to fall apart.”

Scott Peterson, an academic technician in the WSU Social Work Department, also said he likes to relieve the daily stress with fly fishing.

“Fly fishing is great therapy,” Peterson said. “It is a great way to relieve stress, and there are great spots to fish that are close to campus.”

Peterson said fly fishing is such a stress-reliever that he started a company called Therapy on the Fly, located on 24th St. in Ogden. He leads guided trips to rivers and lakes all over Utah and into the surrounding states to help people deal with the stress life brings.

Utah is home to several lakes and rivers that provide spots for fly fishing, and WSU is located close to a lot of rivers in northern Utah. The north and south forks of Ogden River, Weber River and Pineview Reservoir are all within a 15-minute drive. Causey Dam and Willard Bay are also recommended spots, but are closer to the half-hour drive time from campus.

Josh Giudice, a senior majoring in business at WSU, said he is also taking in the therapy fly fishing provides.

“I grew up in Utah and never really had been fly fishing before,” Giudice said. “I had been regular fishing with a casting reel, but not a fly rod. I went fly fishing one time with a friend and was instantly hooked. I can see how people use it to help relieve stress. The fresh air and the sound of nature can do wonders for the mind and body. I just wish I knew about it before my senior year.”

For students interested in fly fishing, WSU offers a class that teaches the basics of the sport.