Nathan's Notations: WSU's season really starts this week

Two games into the season, Weber State University’s football season really starts this weekend.

After losses to two FBS schools, WSU will return home this weekend and take on McNeese State University on Saturday. We’ll get to see how the Wildcats match up against a school from our division. It will be interesting to see how the game plays out. Personally, after what I’ve seen in the first two games of the year, I’m excited.

Despite two losses, I think WSU looked good so far this season. The team was a lot more competitive against California State University, Fresno than what the scoreboard showed. While the first half against the Bulldogs was bad, the team came out strong in the second half and was able to move down the field with some ease.

Mike Hoke looked especially good against the FSU defense. He completed 10 straight passes and was key in WSU’s offense.

Against Brigham Young University, the Wildcats started out playing pretty well against the Cougars. I was really impressed with WSU’s defense in that game. The defensive line and linebackers played a great game and kept the Wildcats in the game.

In the second half, WSU was able to move the ball and do what Washington State University couldn’t do the week before — score a touchdown against the BYU defense.

BYU’s defense is stronger than anything the Wildcats will face this year, and against that strong defense, C.J. Tuckett rushed for 80 yards. I’m looking forward to seeing him in action against weaker defensive units this season. With what I’ve seen so far, I think this could be a good season for WSU.

One thing that worried me in the first two games is WSU’s secondary. Watching the game against BYU, it looked as if at times our defensive backs were lost (aside from Tony Epperson). I hope it was just a case of not playing great against a big opponent and that they’ll bounce back this weekend.

I’m really looking forward to the game this weekend. I’m excited about this WSU football team, and I think they have more of an identity going into this season than the team did last year. The team should have a more balanced running attack this season. Hoke has a solid receiving crew to throw to. The team seems to be solid defensively, and WSU has the best punter I’ve seen in a long time in Tony “I Do Everything” Epperson.

Epperson had an amazing game, punting for over 500 yards, and pulled off an amazing left-footed punt. In all my years of watching football, I’ve never been so excited to see the punter come out on the field. Not only did he have an amazing game punting, he got an interception and recovered a fumble.

It’s going to be a challenging season this year, and I think the Big Sky Conference will be very competitive this season.

This weekend will be the first real gauge of where WSU is this year. MSU is a good team, and I’m looking forward to a good game against them. After two games against FBS schools, I’m looking forward to seeing what WSU can do against a more level opponent.